12. All Alone

Song: Love Me Like You Do by VSQ

- NANCY GRIFFITHS -

I always found rainy storms idyllic. Especially during summers. It has the ability to cleanse the world for a little while.

As a kid, I loved sitting by the window and watch the rain drops run down the glass, listening to the pitter patter on the roof while my parents have their childish yet loving banter in the background.

And thus here I am, doing the very same thing in my almost-finished home. Only this time, I am all alone.

A confused frown finds its way to my face as I notice someone on a horse heading towards the house and only one person comes to mind.

"Benedict..." I whisper to myself.

Within seconds I get up from my chair and rush to open the door.

How on earth did he find me?

And just as I expected, a drenched Benedict Bridgerton gets off his horse,

"Benedict!? What are you doing here?" I yell through the sound of thunder.

"I had to talk to you, Nancy. The thought of us has kept me sleepless all night and I–"

Without letting him finish speaking, I take his hand and pull him inside the house, dragging him towards the bench. "Are you out of your mind? What if you have gotten sick?" I ask, pacing back and forth.

Meanwhile, Benedict can only silently watch me be completely distraught.

"Nancy," He says as he grabs my hand, causing me to stop. "I am truly sorry."

My frown softens at the sight of a vulnerable Benedict, but it doesn't make his hurtful sentiments of last night alright.

I sigh and let go of his hand before sitting down next to him, eyes glued onto the fire place in front of us.

"No excuse can justify what I said last night, so all I can do is admit that I was wrong... I understand now that I hurt you and offended your friend and that is why I stopped by at Bloomsbury earlier today and apologized to Mr. Sharpe for my actions.– And that is also why I came here as well; To say that I am truly and terribly sorry."

I slowly turn my head to Benedict. "What did Theo say?" I ask quietly.

"He accepted my apology and promised me he never meant Eloise any harm."

"Well, I appreciate you apologizing to him."

I do not know whether I can forgive him this easily. So much has happened between us that I have my doubts keeping Benedict in my life even if his absence is the last thing I desire.

"I am not sure I can forgive you right away, but I am tired of holding onto anger... So if you could give me time."

"Of course." Benedict mutters. "It is a beautiful home by the way. It looks great already." He adds as he looks around the almost finished house.