Geoffrey carefully studied the king, holding his breath. Although he looked the same, there were some expressions he wasn't able to hide. Geoffrey noted his shoulders tensing, his clenched teeth and the veins popping out from his neck. He managed to glance at the King's eyes and he almost jumped from fear. They'd grown even darker. Geoffrey broke out into a cold sweat.

         His hands fisted by his side, Dexter turned around and slammed the table nearest to him causing a dent. He threw the paper away, heaving out  breaths. Geoffrey distinctively noticed how badly he was shaking.

         Too scared to ask what was written in the letter,  Geoffrey silently went to pick it up from the ground and read it. His jaw dropped at the content, his eyes widening.

        The whole of  Madonia for your Queen or I will return her corpse.
                                                                  Gavin.

             What!?
.
.
.
      Maya huddled down in the tent cold, tired and hungry. So many hours has passed by since she was thrown here. Every part of her body aches, especially her stomach. Her hands were still tied.

        Although she felt sleepy, she was still too scared to close her eyes since Gavin said he would be coming to see her. Placing her head on her knees, she heaved a sigh, shivering from the cold.

      She soon heard footsteps approaching the tent and in alarm, sluggishly stood to her feet. Dizziness slammed through her but she fought to stay conscious, she was that tired. The tent flap opened and Gavin walked in, looking imposing as ever. His eyes dart around her, his gaze darkening with anger and something more. Something that made her blood run cold. She returned it with a glare of her own.

       "I did not expect you to be awake..." He started slowly, his voice tinged with amusement. Maya felt anger seeping from her bones.

       "Why are you here?" Maya gritted out, her blood boiling.

       "I wanted to see my hostage. You seem to be holding up quite well." He answered easily.

       "What do you want from me?"

      "Oh, I have no business with you. I only have business with the King. I need to get something from him and this is the only way to do it. I tried to use my daughter but you had ruin that by killing her. So I have resolved to more dirty tactics."

        So this isn't even about his daughter, Maya thought as she narrowed her eyes, her anger increasing as the seconds slipped by. Just what kind of a monster was this man?

       "What do you want from the King?" She asked later.

      Gavin took a step closer and Maya resisted the urge to take a step back as she glared at him. "Since I'm in a good mood, I'll tell you." Raising his chin ina dignified tilt, he stated calmly. "Madonia. I want to be a ruler of Madonia. I am going to make him sign a treaty that would have him give up Madonia for me so that I can return you to him."

      Maya scoffed, looking away. " What makes you think he'll agree to that?"

      "Oh, he will. Knowing him,be would gladly do it just to save you. Once that is done, I'll kill him and make you watch." He stated coldly, sending shivers down her spine.

          Still, Maya put on a bold front. "And you think that will work? That's the most ridiculous plan I have ever heard." She said, her voice laced with sarcasm.

        "It has to. Or else you are dying first." Gavin growled.

        What you makes you think I'm scared of death? Maya wanted to say to him but she was scared he might take her words literally so she snapped her mouth shut, just glaring at him. She realized Gavin was still speaking so she gave him her attention

        "I already sent him a letter, I should be getting a reply soon. Then the real battle will begin." He looked down at her. "You should prepare yourself."

         "Get. Out." Maya spat out coldly, her body shaking with anger. Gavin reached up to her, grabbing her chin. His eyes narrowed, Maya watched it glint mischievously.

         "Maybe after his death, I'll have you warm my bed every night." He said, snickering in the end. Maya blanched at his words, her eyes widened in horror.

         "I would rather die." She grated out as she pushed herself away from him, her heart pounding, her face contorted with disgust and contempt.

           "Of course you will." Gavin shot back as he started to leave. Turning towards the exit, he added. "You should get some rest. You might be here awhile."

           Gavin had already stepped out when Maya called him back. He turned to look at her. With determined filled eyes, she spoke the next words, calmly and clearly. "Mark my words, Gavin. I will be the one to kill you."

         He chuckled, finding the threat amusing. "I would like to see you try." He uttered back. Without a backward glance, he walked out, disappearing unto the darkness.

Thanks for reading!!
See you in the next chapter!