Chapter 13: The Forced Alliance P1

Começar do início

The svelte girl then took Tuk in her arms "I think we'll go home right now, it is getting late." she then turned and addressed me "Kaia, I'll come pick up my supplies tomorrow; feel free to...use anything you want for your wounds until then."

"Yeah ok." I assured, making sure my voice sounded sympathetic and airy.

"Ok." Kiri merely said, until she turned back once more "Thank you again, I'm sorry you got hurt having to defend a freak like me."

Before I could refute, the girl swiftly made her way out of the house and onto the bouncy path. As her back was facing us, Tuk with upturned eyes stuck her arms and signed the words

"Thank you for listening to us."

Without a second thought I smiled and sighed back

"You're very welcome."

The girl proceeded to wrinkle her nose in delight again.

For a moment, the reality of my circumstances were forgotten and I smiled

until I caught sight of Neteyam's blushing but stern face and realized that he was now alone in a room with me

and my sleeping father.

I quickly and awkwardly cleared my throat and Neteyam's expression grew grim. It was clear he had something to say.

"So..." He began, evidently trying to maintain his composure. From what exactly, I don't know

"I saw that...it didn't look like you believed that story. The one Kiri guessed. He thought back on "Frankly, I don't think I do either."

The words felt like rocks. It was almost difficult to even suggest such a thing. To think of any fowl play.

But it was necessary.

"It's not possible that they took him beyond the reef to hunt." I grimly said.

"What?" Neteyam asked, a startling tone in his voice "Why? It is hunting season, no?"

"Yes." I calmly informed "Kiri's theory would probably be right but..."

"But what?" Neteyam prodded.

"If they were to go hunting it would be within the reef but you would've seen them." I described.

"Ok so they went hunting beyond the reef." Neteyam attempted to reason.

I shook my head "That's the thing. There's no reason to..."

"What do you mean?"

"It's not hunting season beyond the reef anymore."
✷                                                   ·                                                                                                                                                ˚ * .      *                                * ⋆   . ·                                                      ⋆                                                ˚ ˚    ✦   ⋆ ·   *      ⋆ ✧    ·                                ✧ ✵     ✷        ·       *                                          *                                                                *