Chapter Fourteen

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Saturday early morning, Toronto University Dorms...

Gilbert shut his suitcase and locked it. He had just spent the last two hours trying on different outfits and shirts and freaking out over which one to wear when he'd meet Anne, much to the amusement of his friend. Finally he had settled on which suit and shirt to wear and, once he buttoned the cufflinks, he looked in the mirror and tried to neaten up his hair to the best of his abilities. It was then that Wilson finally revealed himself behind him, leaning on the frame of the door.

"Done with your touch-ups princess Blythe? Don't fret so much, I doubt she'll leave you just because you wore a suit with three buttons instead of four."

Gilbert rolled his eyes and smiled before fixing up his waistcoat for the last time and slipping on the blazer. He took the golden watch Anne had gifted him and held on to it closely, then placed it inside his pocket. Taking a deep breath, he grabbed his case and turned to Wilson.

"Right, off we go then?"

"Yep, come on."

The plans had been confirmed by now that Gilbert would be taking the train to Charlottetown before going with the others to Avonlea later, and as Wil lived in Charlottetown, him and Gil would be taking the train there together before parting ways. As Lloyd lived further away than they did, he had gotten permission to leave a day early and so the dormitory was soon going to be completely empty.

Locking the door of their place behind them, the two men walked down the tower stairs with their luggage until they finally reached the carriage Wilson hired waiting for them.

Once they were finally inside the carriage and on their way, Gilbert couldn't help but constantly open his pocket watch and check the time before anxiously closing just to do it all over again in a few seconds. Finally fed up with it, Wil spoke.

"Oh will you stop that? We'll be there well before the train arrives, and if you keep opening and closing that watch like that you'd have to explain to Miss Anne on why her newly bought gift for you is already broken."
The nervous boy laughed and nodded, putting the watch back in it's pocket.

Finally they reached the station and, after thanking and paying the driver, they purchased the tickets. Gilbert checked the time only to see that the train would be arriving any time now. Not to his surprise, he soon heard the sound of the train conductor.

"Train to Charlottetown! All aboard!"

Him and Wilson quickly rushed on to the train before helping the old lady behind them and sat themselves down opposite eachother.
He gazed outside of the window as the bustling station crowd soon turned into a blur of zooming trees and landscape.
As Wilson was distracted in his own reading, Gilbert took out a folded piece of paper from his pocket - Anne's most recent letter had lifted him outside of the regions of materialistic matters and into a separate world of both joy and heartache. He read the last words once again.

'The one waiting patiently to be back with her love'

Sighing happily, he smiled and folded the letter once more.

"I'm finally going to see you again, my Anne with an e."

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

The boarding house...

"Good morning Anne, wakey wakey!"

"Wha-...gah! Diana?!"