Chapter One

The grass shone like a field of emeralds from the golden glow of the sun, as she spread her warmth through every part of the sky. The sapphire blue eyes of the girl as she walked shone brightly too, but not from the sunlight- they shone with pure love. Love for the world,for the kind and wise trees, for the innocent songs of the birds, for the sun's angelic embrace of light, and love for a boy.

Her boy.

Her kind and loving boy with his hazel eyes full of every emotion known to man, his rose pink lips curving into a smile whenever she came (though she never noticed), his chestnut curls that almost felt softer than his sweet and loving gaze, his arms that were toned with the experiences of hard labour, be it working on a farm or shovelling coal on a steamer while travelling the world. Although he wasn't a boy anymore - Gilbert Blythe was a man, on his way to the University of Toronto to achieve his dreams of becoming a doctor and saving lives. And just like Gilbert Blythe went from a boy to a handsome young man, Anne Shirley Cuthbert moved on from being the fiery haired orphan girl who smiled with awe and love for the world around her, trying hard to escape the world with her vibrant imagination, into a young woman with a loving family, a home, friends, newly discovered romance(who rivaled her intelligence in a way she could only dream of when she used to imagine her future life partner) and hundreds of different opportunities at every turn as she started a new life at Queen's Academy.
Anne grinned to herself, her freckles gleaming in the sun, as she skipped through the field in her newly gifted midnight blue and snow white laced gown that danced in contrast to the wonderful daytime sky around her. For Anne always managed to stand out, be it with her fiery red hair(which had fallen out of its updo long ago by now) or her loving and bright personality. The book Marilla and Matthew had gifted her caused her smile to widen, and she reached her hand out to an apple tree and, struggling slightly due to her corset, began her climb to the perfect branch for resting,

"Oh I just can't believe it, can you Gwendolyn?(Anne had already named the first 6 trees she saw on sight, she thought it awfully cruel to pass them by without properly acknowledging them). A few years ago, I would have thought I was in a fairytale if I knew life was going to be like this. I have everything and more! I truly believed I would never find a place as beautiful as green gables when I left, but now thanks to you and everything else in this magnificent world I have come upon a realisation - everything in this world is abundant in beauty, but none can be compared, for every beauty is wonderfully and utterly unique. Like the sun and the moon, the sun fills our insides with warmth, hope, and brightens our world, shining joy everywhere! And even though the moon is simply reflecting the sunlight, it is just as beautiful, but in a different way. The moon is graceful and elegant. It shines to us in the darkest of nights and fills the emptiest spaces with love. You can never say either is more than the other, can you dear Gwen?"

Her ocean eyes gazed on as two bright red monarch butterflies fluttered towards her, one landing on her outstretched slender finger and resting their wings slowly, the other settling themselves on her hair - the butterfly blended in perfectly.

"And my oh my, aren't you just a perfect example of that? Despite your wings being just as red as my hair, it still helps to show how you truly are the epitome of beauty. It's even making my heart feel more happy about my red hair! After growing up so much, I already learned to settle with my hair, but now I'm beginning to appreciate it more than ever. Thank you, little angels, I'm sure that you would be great friends with a little fox friend I met in avonlea, they had fur just as red as ours and they were also oh so lovely!"

Anne continued admiring the butterflies in her head as she gazed, her eyes looking as beautiful as diamonds, a gentle smile on her rose lips. It was then that a familiar voice spoke from down beneath the branches

"Oh Anne, you love nature so much and talk of her beauty, and yet you never seem to realise the beauty nature has given you in return for your appreciation. Why, if only Gilbert could see you now, looking like a nymph, he would be so enchanted by your beauty I'm sure he would turn around his carriage from Toronto, drive back to Queens, and never leave your sight again!"

Anne turned around quickly as the butterflies flew away to find another flower after being startled so suddenly, only for the girl to see a flash of green and brown as she fell from her comfortable branch to the soft grass below.
Dazed from the sudden fall, the red head twisted her head to see a beaming face staring at her from above, her brown curls put in an elegant updo, which contrasted the childish - but beautiful nonetheless - grin on her face. As Anne started to sit up, she spoke
"Oh Diana, you startled me ever so much. And as much as I disbelieve in your high opinion of my appearance ,I admire your skillful way of words, feeling poetic today are we?"
"Well how could I not? Your personality is always bright and puts a smile on my face, but today it is absolutely radiant! I don't see how it couldn't of course," Her eyes glanced knowingly at her bosom friend "when we've not only gotten to come to Queens together, but now you and Gilbert can finally be with eachother since you two know about your feelings!"
Anne's mouth and eyes smiled, she ignored the constant remarks about Gilbert, for she only wanted to focus on her beautiful and kind bosom friend.
"Oh Dear Diana, the best part for me isn't coming to Queens, or growing up, the most wonderfully, remarkably superior part for me is getting the wonderful pleasure of going to Queens and becoming a woman with you! I don't know how I could ever enjoy a life without you, even if I had a hundred princes and suitors and masquerade balls everyday, for there is no happiness without my beautiful bosom friend by my side to experience it alongside me!"
And it was in that moment, along with many others, where Anne and Diana experienced those beautiful seconds that only they could fully comprehend, for it was those times that the both of them cherished in the moment, in the moments to come in their life, and forever after.

The silence was broken as the brunette grasped her fair slender fingers around Anne's wrist and grabbed her,

"Now come on my bosom friend, Miss Blackmore insisted we all be at the dorms at 5:00pm so that she can give us an explanation on 'How she expects us to act as dignified young ladies during our college years'. I'm sure it's just going to be a verbal version of her list of rules she sent us, only more stricter and we have to stand there smiling and nodding the entire time."

Anne's smile turned into a grimace
"Oh I can't bear to have to spend another five hours listening to her lecture us!"

"Anne wasn't it only five minutes last time?"

"Well it sure felt like an eternity! As grateful as I am to Ms Blackmore for letting us stay here, I don't believe I need another lecture, I'm perfectly aware of the rules, and I don't squeal nearly as much as the other girls"
Diana smiled at her bosom friend, and together they ran off across the field back to their dorms. Both of their faces were flushed from running (and falling off of trees in Anne's case).

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

A few hours earlier...

A young woman stood by the window, not a word spoken, nor a muscle moved. Her eyes and jaw were open in shock.

Tillie Boulter was experiencing feelings in such an intensity she never knew existed. Shock, excitement, confusion. Just a few minutes ago she was humming to herself joyfully as she packed her gowns and hats into the maple wood wardrobe by her new bed, when she heard a carriage and familiar - but too muffled to decipher- voices outside.
She laid her night gown that she had been preparing for bed aside and walked to the window, where she saw a sight she would have never imagined she'd see in a million years and more-
Anne Shirley Cuthbert was being kissed by Gilbert Blythe himself.
•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•