Chapter Ten

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Anne joined in with the other girls as they packed away their books in preparation for their next lesson - Ladies' Etiquette. Before she could finish packing, however, she was met by Roy who walked over to her desk. Tillie, Carolyn and Diana continued to pack away and, in fear of being late, left to the next lesson instead of waiting.

"Good day miss Anne." He smiled warmly as he handed the redhead one of her pens from the desk to place in her bag. She reciprocated the greeting kindly before remembering about the earlier conversation with Prof.Meredeth.

"Splendid day Roy. If you don't mind me asking, what was it you told Professor Meredeth about me? You said to him in the start of the lesson that you mentioned me already...?"

His lips curved upwards into a small smile as he chuckled.

"Don't worry, nothing bad - I don't see how I could think of anything critical about you anyways. I simply told him that you appeared to be passionate in literature, the same as him and myself."

"You adore literature too?" She raised her eyebrows.

"How could I not? Plus I don't believe I would have accepted the offer as teaching assistant if I didn't love the subject so much, I'm also a student just as you are, remember? Second year studies may be stressful at times but getting these experiences certainly make it more enjoyable, plus they give me a glimpse into life as a teacher like I aspire to become."

"You wish to be a teacher? How marvelous, as do I!"

"It seems as though we have many things in common Miss Anne - I'm glad to have you as a friend. We are friends, right? Apologies if you don't consider us to be, I should have made my intentions to befriend you clear..." He scratched his neck sheepishly.

It was Anne's turn to chuckle this time as she beamed at the man beside her.
"Don't worry, I already consider you to be a friend, even though we haven't had the chance to talk much."

"I'm glad you think so. Indeed we haven't, although I tried to speak to you yesterday but I couldn't find the opportunity. I also noticed that you and your friends seemed to have made quite a scene with your fashion choices that day. It was a brave one though, and I admire you for it."

"You do?"

"Indeed, it's always admirable to see this generation object to the status quo. Plus I noticed you seem to look better in trousers than I do, I envy you for it."

Anne laughed and shook her head.
"I'm happy you think so, perhaps I'll teach you my ways. But for now I should head off to my next lesson, I'll see you later!"

She waved goodbye and walked through the exit. Anne scanned the corridors before noticing the familiar heads of her friends and ran to catch up with them. They all went in the direction of their next class, which was by the hall, and met up with the rest of their friends on the way. Since there were less female students in the college, the ladies classes were only split into two groups, one of which happened to include all of Anne's friends together (much to their pleasure). The male only lessons like sports were split into more groups due to being the larger population.

"What I don't understand is why boys get to play sports and have fun when all we get to do is learn how to sip tea and curtsey, it's ridiculous if you ask me!" Anne ranted to the rest of their group as they all made their way down the stairs, the clicking of heels echoing through the corridors.

"It's just the way of things Anne, though I don't think there's much point in a peasant like you learning sophisticated etiquette anyways, it won't make any difference." Josie remarked, though Anne ignored her teasing as she replied.