Chapter Two

Miss Boulter did not know how to react at all. She did not even know if this was even real. How could it be real? How could this possibly be real?!

Anne and Gilbert had been rivals ever since they met - or at least, Anne treated Gilbert like one anyways. But if that wasn't enough, Gilbert Blythe was soon to be engaged to a wealthy lady in Charlotte town, what on earth was he doing here, kissing Anne Shirley's face off?

It was as Gilbert was preparing to set off on his carriage that Diana felt a pair of eyes on her, and she instinctively turned towards the window of the dorms. Sure enough, there she was - Tillie Boulter, her brown eyes wide with shock and confusion. Diana put her fingers on her lips, and mouthed to her the short, but unmistakable words,

'I'll explain later'

Tillie wished that, in that moment, she could ask Diana every question that had popped into her mind, but even if it was possible, there was no time as it was at that moment that Josie Pye had sat onto Tillie's bed and opened her mouth to speak.

"Tillie, it appears that I left my nightgown at Avonlea and I'm afraid I didn't bring a spare, do you have a spare that I could borrow?"

Tillie turned to look at Josie, her eyes still wide.

"Well don't look so shocked, it's only for tonight, I was thinking I'd just go to Charlotte town tomorrow to purchase a new one. So, do you?"

"Uh, yes of course, let me just grab one"

Josie smiled, oblivious to the massive revelation Tillie had just received from outside her window.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•
Back to the present time with Anne and Diana...

The two girls bounced on to their bed, giggling madly.
"Oh Anne, I can't believe it!"

"Nor can I my dearest Diana!"

"Wasn't it just this year that we were counting down the days until we were separated for what we believed to be an eternity?"

Anne moved her gaze from the bright window to her best friend, a sincere look on her face.

"And I was frightened that you'd find your perfect beau, friends, and family, and forget all about me, but now we finally get to spend our years of womanhood together too!"

"And most importantly - aside from that of course - I get the education and freedom I could once only dream of." Diana's deep eyes began to water with joy, alongside sadness as she remembered the future she used to believe she was destined to fulfill against her wishes - to sail to the distant city of Paris away from her home and friends, become a proper lady, find a wealthy, respectable husband, and take on her only roles as housewife and mother for the rest of her life. She recalled how her only realistic way she believed she would be able to do what she wanted was to take on small hobbies, and only if her husband permitted.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the cold but comforting touch of a hand on hers.

Anne Shirley Cuthbert had a beautiful connection to words, she knew hundreds of thousands of them, which one suited every occasion, which words were necessary to help ease someone's mind, and she also knew how many words were necessary. In this instance, for example, she knew immediately that no words were needed, for all she did was give a kind smile to her kindred spirit, and Diana understood it all.

The brunette laid her head on Anne's shoulder. They stayed like that for around a minute, until Diana, staring at Anne's watch, spoke, her soft and solemn voice from before replaced with her usual bright and cheery tone.