Chapter 1- Sophie's POV

'You're on the phone with your girlfriend, she's upset...'

"Foster! Wait up!!" Keefe yelled, pushing people out of the way to get to Sophie. Sophie looked back at him with confusion, eyes widening as he ran, full speed toward her. He skid to a stop, inches from where she stood. "Lookin good." he smirked.

"Whats up Keefe?" she asked, turning around again, trying to hide her flaming cheeks. After her break up with Fitz 2 months ago, she had started to realize that she had loved Fitz in her head, but Keefe in her heart. It was so easy to just be herself in front of Keefe. No pressure, no toxic words. They were there for each other when they needed to be. She trusted Keefe with her life, but it wasn't like she could just admit that she had feelings for him. Especially when he liked Biana.

"I was wondering if you wanted to catch a movie later." he asked, an air of nervousness around him. He noticed her raised eyebrow, and quickly added "as friends of course."

Sophie tried not to let the disappointment show on her face, as she smiled and confirmed.

"Get it together Sophie. He likes Biana, not you. Biana." she mentally scolded herself. Their friend group was at a strange stage. Tam clearly had a crush on Biana and Biana admitted that she had a crush on Tam. Keefe probably liked Biana, or someone else, and Dex and Marella were already dating. Linh was dating Wylie, and Fitz was still single after their breakup.

"Its a date Foster!" he called over his shoulder as he ran towards his ditching spot. Sophie laughed, her face morphing into horror as she realized everyone had just heard what Keefe had yelled. Cheeks flaming once again, she raced to her next class, staring at the ground.

~---------------------------time skip------------------------~

The gang was gathered by Linh, Tam, and Fitz's cars, deciding what they were gonna do after school. Sophie zoned out, instead, thinking about her and Keefe's "date". Was Keefe trying to ask her out? Or did he really just want to hang out as friends. And if he wanted to hang out as friends, why didn't he invite Biana, Fitz, Marella, Dex, Linh and Tam? Questions kept spinning around in Sophie's mind, but Biana's voice jolted her out of her scrambled thoughts.

"Hm?" she asked. "What?" Biana glanced at Tam, smirking, as Dex, being her only kind friend besides Linh, filled her in.

"We decided on going to that old bakery and resteraunt by Eternalia road. Biana and Fitz went there with their parents and its, according to Biana, has the best mallowmelt she's ever eaten." Dex said, his voice turning squeakier as he imitated Biana.

"I do not sound like that." Biana huffed, crossing her hands over her chest.

"Maybe not, but that did sound pretty darn close." Tam said, dodging the shove that Linh aimed.

"Tammy that was mean." Linh laughed. "Apologize."

Tam rolled his eyes and murmered an apology to Biana. Her face brightened, and Sophie was pretty sure that everyone was chanting Tiana, which was the ship name Marella had given them.

"Anyways, its 15 minutes away and it's already 5:20 so we should get going." Fitz said, looking down at his golden watch. The Vacker's were extremely wealthy and lived in a giant mansion, which everyone referred to as "Everglen".

Linh, Fitz, and Tam were the only ones in their friendgroup that were allowed to drive. So they had ended up being their personal chaffeurs.

Biana, Marella, and Sophie went with Linh, Dex and Keefe went with Fitz. Tam insisted on riding alone 'cuz he claimed that they would ruin his seats.

As soon as they pulled out of the school parking lot, Biana launched into conversation.

"Soooo anyone ask you to Homecoming yet?" Biana asked, wiggling her eyebrows. They were in their junior year in school, and Linh, Tam, Fitz and Keefe were in their senior years.

"No Biana. And I haven't been asked any other year, so I doubt i'm gonna be asked this year." Sophie said. Biana pouted.

"Don't worry, no one's asked me yet."

"Based on all the boys staring at you in the hallway, i'll be pretty surprised if no one asks you." Marella said, her voice switching to a happier tone. "And i'm going with Dex. He asked me today."

"EEK!" Biana squealed. "Are you guys matching??"

Marella nodded. "We're both gonna wear something peach-y."

"I think I might have an idea who's gonna ask you, Bi." Linh smirked from the drivers seat. "I won't ruin the surprise though!"

"No tell me!" Biana shrieked. "I need to know!"

Sophie shook her head. "Nuh uh. You'll find out soon enough." Biana stuck her tounge out at her.

"Anyways. So this place has mallowmelt, butterblasts and custard bursts?" Linh asked.

Biana nodded enthusiastically. "Mhm. Some of the best i've ever tasted. And Sophie, i'm sorry to say this, but they're even better than Edaline's."

Sophie clutched her chest in pretend hurt. "Well, thanks a lot."

"Her mallowmelt is still delicious!" Biana argued.
Sophie rolled her eyes, laughing. As they reached the shop, and got out of the car, Sophie began searching for their friends, her eyes landing on Keefe. He was talking to a pretty girl with light brown hair and pale green eyes so light they looked gray. 

Sophie felt a flare of jealously pass through her. Sophie walked up to them, smiling at Keefe.

"Hey, where's Fitz and Dex?" She asked. Keefe smiled back, making her heart flutter. Something that it hadn't done since Fitz.

"They're inside finding a table." He told her. The girl he was talking to cleared her throat quite loudly. 

"Oh yeah. Foster, this is my childhood friend Gianna Carter. Gia for short. Gianna, this is Sophie Foster, aka Foster, aka Mysterious Miss F, aka Lady Foss-Boss, droolmonster-"

"And you can stop right there." Sophie interrupted. She held a hand out to Gia. "Nice to meet you." 

She looked at her hand, but not shaking it, until Sophie dropped it. Keefe looked a little bit uncomfortable, so Sophie suggested they go inside.

Not wanting to be rude, she asked Gianna if she wanted to join us.

"Sure. It's not like I have anything better to do."

First chapter done!

Word count: 1043
Published: January 19, 2023