Epi 3 - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Start from the beginning

"Secondly, we just got some new intel on our zombies. Turns out, they're responsible for a rash of armed robberies in the last six months, always disguised differently. Detectives want to get the two in custody to flip on their partners at large, but there is no guarantee so don't stop hunting." She said. "Finally, we got a request for a civil standby. Turns out somebody's getting fired from a tech job and the supervisor is worried things may not go right."

"Babysitting a termination, a patrol officer's favorite assignment. So who shall I bless it with?" Grey asked and Officer Nolan started to raise his hand.

"Officer Nolan, are you volunteering?" Grey asked Nolan.

"Just embracing the inevitable, sir," he replied.

"Smart man. Get the address from dispatch. That's it." He said and dismissed us to start the shift.

---
"Are you sure you don't want me to drive?" Chen asked.

I quickly glanced at her, checking her audacity.

"Why would I want that, Boot?" I asked.

She sighed and looked back out the passenger window. That's what I thought.

"You think I'd go back on duty before I'm 100%?" I asked, still a little ticked she'd even ask that in the first place.

I'm just a little sore, it's nothing I can't handle.

"No, sir," she answered.

"You'll drive when you have earned it," I told her.

"Yes sir." She replied, then after a beat said, "It's good to have you back."

I glanced over at her quickly, "Damn straight."

Things were getting back to normal.

---

We arrived at the bank to respond to a frantic call from the manager. We got out of the shop and he met us outside.

"Oh, thank god you guys are here. He's trapped in there." The manager said.

"In where? The bank?" Chen asked as we walked towards the bank together.

The manager sighed, "Ugh, no. In the wall." He pointed at the ATM and the wall sitting just inside the bank entrance. "Mike went inside to fix an ATM last night before we closed and we forgot he was in there and left. The lock must have broke when he tried to come back out and he's been inside all night. He pushed this note through the receipt slot when he heard us come in." The manager explained and handed me the note.

Hurry! Hard to Breathe

I handed the note to Chen and pulled my radio from my belt.

"Control, 7-adam-19 requesting LAFD to 3301 Ditmer for a guy trapped in a wall." I radioed in.

I put my radio back on my belt and approached the wall.

"Sir, we're gonna get you out of there," I called out to the man stuck in the ATM machine.

I knocked on the wall.

"Sir, can you hear me?" I asked loudly, but not quite shouting.

Right then another note was pushed out of the receipt slot.

Chen stepped up to look over my shoulder to see the scribbles I was seeing. I could feel her body heat radiating into me.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked.

"Hypoxia. Go grab the halligan out of the trunk." I ordered her and handed her the note.

She left immediately, taking her heat with her, to go get the halligan.