Chapter 12

Percy

Percy resisted his first instinct to jump down and attack, but only barely. Sam kept ahold of his arm, anyway, so he couldn't even if he tried. It was even harder to resist warning Annabeth, but he knew she was on guard. She would realize they were here long before they showed themselves.

After a few moments, Percy heard what Cas had heard, too: the faint rustling of grass beneath feet and the hissing of snakes. They had to be just outside the barn.

Percy and the others crept toward the edge of the loft but remained in the shadows. From there, Percy had a clear view of Annabeth, who was lying on her back with her hands under her head like she was asleep. But he noticed the tension in her muscles, the way her knife was already partially unsheathed.

The movement grew louder and Percy barely heard the creak of the barn door before Medusa and Euryale came into view beneath him. He didn't know if Medusa had used a glamour the last time he saw her at Aunty Em's Garden Gnome Emporium, but this time, she looked the same as her sisters—bronze tusks, rooster feet, scaly skin, and restless snakes atop her head.

Medusa turned her head and Percy quickly ducked back. He knew she couldn't see him, but would her petrification still work if he looked into her eyes?

Euryale growled and rushed forward. Annabeth opened her eyes a second before she reached her and spun to the side, grabbing her knife. Medusa advanced on her and the two of them moved fast enough to knock the blade from Annabeth's hand and grab her by the neck. Medusa lifted Annabeth to eye level, but Annabeth had her eyes squeezed tightly shut.

"Stupid daughter of Athena," Euryale hissed.

"Open your eyes, dear," Medusa purred in her Middle Eastern accent. "And this will all be over. I'll even stop hunting your siblings. As long as I have you."

"Did you really think we wouldn't find you?" Euryale cackled.

Annabeth smirked. "Actually, I was counting on it."

Percy took that for the signal it was and leaped from the loft. He landed just behind Euryale and knocked her down with a kick Coach Hedge would be proud of. Euryale yelped when Sam and Cas advanced on her, and Percy turned to Medusa, keeping his eyes on the floor.

"Perseus Jackson!" Medusa roared. "You deserve death."

"Nice to see you too, Medusa," Percy retorted and swiped at Medusa.

Medusa danced back, dragging Annabeth with her. But with her focus on Percy, she didn't notice Dean creeping up behind her. He slashed at her arm, making her hand disintegrate, and Annabeth landed on the balls of her feet. Medusa wailed, spinning around, and Dean rolled to the side before she could attack.

"You!" she shouted. "You should be a statue! How are you here?"

"Lady, you don't even who you're dealing with," Dean growled. "When we're done with you, you're gonna wish you never left Tartarus."

Medusa screeched and lunged for Dean, who rolled away again. Percy took the opening to deal a blow to her side, and she grunted and stumbled into Annabeth's waiting fist. Dean rushed in and stabbed her in the back. Medusa screamed and tried to grab him, but he kept just out of reach, creating the perfect opportunity. Percy lunged and slashed through Medusa's neck, and her body poofed into dust, leaving a dripping, gurgling, hissing head on the ground.

"Don't look at it," Annabeth cautioned. "It can still turn people to stone."

Dean kept his gaze trained upward. Percy rushed over to Annabeth, taking her into his arms and checking her over for injuries. "You okay? Did they get you?"