Chapter 5

Annabeth

Annabeth knew her day was about to get infinitely worse when her mother appeared. All she wanted was a picnic with her boyfriend on one of her rare days off from school, when they both had the time to hang out without worrying about homework or extracurriculars. Couldn't the universe let her have that after everything they'd been through?

"Hello, Annabeth," Athena said.

The goddess moved so smoothly across the grass that Annabeth wasn't surprised to see she wasn't even touching it, just hovering an inch above it. The bright sun reflecting off her white dress was nearly blinding. Annabeth would have appreciated the fact that she sat down to reduce the glare, except for the fact that she sat down on Annabeth's picnic blanket, which meant this wouldn't be a quick visit.

"Mother," Annabeth said, sliding closer to Percy who instinctively slipped his arm around her.

Athena glanced at him and her lips curled. "Perseus." Surprisingly, she almost sounded polite.

Reading the situation and thankfully staying composed, Percy inclined his head and said, "Lady Athena."

Athena turned back to Annabeth and smiled, though it felt wrong. Like she was trying too hard. "How are you?" she asked.

Annabeth rolled her eyes and cut to the chase. "What do you want?"

Athena frowned. "Can I not visit my daughter?"

Annabeth shook her head. "Not since the last time you visited me you practically disowned me and sent me on a quest that nearly got me killed."

Athena looked down her nose at Annabeth. "The Athena Parthenos needed to be returned to the Greeks. As my brightest child, you were the natural choice to follow the Mark of Athena. I knew you would succeed. I had complete faith in you."

"That's still not an apology," Annabeth growled.

Athena narrowed her eyes. "I don't see why—"

"Why are you here now, Athena?" Percy interrupted, and Annabeth was secretly grateful. She was tired of hashing out the same argument with her mother.

Athena sighed. "I require your . . . assistance."

Annabeth's jaw dropped. "Seriously? You want to send me on another quest?"

"No," Athena said, reaching out to touch Annabeth's knee. Annabeth resisted the urge to slap her hand away. "Not exactly. It's my children. Your siblings. They are in danger."

Some of the tension drained from Annabeth's body. "What are you talking about? Camp Half-Blood and Camp Jupiter are both perfectly safe."

Athena nodded. "Yes, of course, they are. But some of my children who have not been claimed yet are in danger. They are being hunted."

Annabeth frowned. "By whom?"

Athena drew back. "The perpetrator is hiding from me. But I know it is one of my enemies."

"Where is this happening?" Percy asked.

Athena didn't look at him. "Here, in California. Throughout various cities. Four of my children have been taken so far."

The thought of innocents was wearing Annabeth down. "So you want me to find them?"

"You mean 'us,'" Percy said. "I'm not letting her do this alone."

Athena considered him. "Fine. I suppose the son of Poseidon would be a useful weapon. Yes, I want you to find them and protect the rest."

"The rest?" Annabeth asked, trying to suppress the rage she felt at her mother calling her boyfriend a weapon.