Chapter 10

Annabeth

"Get her home safe, okay? I'll come talk to you later about what to do next," Annabeth said.

Mr. Sherman nodded as Lily sobbed into his arms. The girl had gotten away without a scratch, thankfully, but it must have been terrifying nonetheless.

Lily had been alone in a dressing room when Euryale burst in, Annabeth right behind her. Euryale hadn't had a chance to lay a hand on her before Annabeth fought her off, and when it was clear she wouldn't get past Annabeth, she fled. Annabeth had been about to go after her when Sam showed up, explaining that Percy and Dean were in pursuit. Annabeth knew they had it handled, so she sent Sam off to find Lily's father while Annabeth calmed her down and began the long conversation her father would have to have with her about her true parentage.

Once Annabeth was sure Lily and Mr. Sherman would be all right, she and Sam raced back outside to regroup with Percy and Dean.

"Which way did they go?" she asked.

"That way," Sam said, and he pointed toward the prop house.

Before they could take another step, Annabeth heard the clink of metal. She turned to see Euryale climb over the fence into the parking lot and disappear into the night.

Sam made to run after her, but Annabeth grabbed his arm. "You won't catch her. She's gone."

Sam cursed, and silently, Annabeth did the same. They may have succeeded in protecting Lily, but Euryale and Medusa were still out there. They needed to put a stop to them, or this child-of-Athena scavenger hunt was going to end in death.

"Come on," Annabeth said. "Let's get Percy and Dean and make sure Lily stays safe."

Sam nodded and they jogged over to the prop house. It was so cluttered and poorly lit, Annabeth hardly knew how anyone found anything in there.

"Percy?" she called out. "Are you in here?"

"Dean?" Sam said.

"Annabeth?" came Percy's response.

"We just saw Euryale escape," she said, starting to move in the direction of his voice. "We need to follow Lily and make sure they don't go after her again."

"Dammit," Percy cursed, his voice closer.

Annabeth turned a corner, and there he was. Percy spotted her at the same time and hurried up to her. "You all right?" he asked, touching her face and checking her for injuries.

She smiled and kissed him quickly, happy to find he didn't have any wounds either. "Fine. Just frustrated she got away."

"We'll get her," he said. "And Medusa."

"Dean? Where are you?" Sam called again, his voice a few rows away from them.

Annabeth frowned and looked at Percy. "What happened?"

Percy shrugged, following Sam's voice. "We followed Euryale in here and split up once inside. She came for me once, then retreated. I think I heard her and Dean fight, too. But then, nothing."

They walked past a giant moon set piece and found Sam. He jumped and lifted his knife, then relaxed when he saw it was them. Then, his face turned hard again. "Have you seen Dean?"

Percy shook his head. "We got separated in here."

Sam huffed and glanced around. Annabeth saw the worry building on his face and tried to mask her own. "Split up. Let's find him," Sam said.

Annabeth didn't bother arguing and neither did Percy—they could all feel the urgency. They each took a different path and moved deeper into the prop house until all Annabeth could hear was the sound of her own breath and footsteps.