37 | Welcome home

It was the next day now, I barely got any sleep last night

     It was the next day now, I barely got any sleep last night. I sat in the chair next to a window, I pulled my sleeve over my fingers that were wrapped around my mug filled with coffee. My knees touched my chest, snow was falling from the sky causing the ground to look completely white. I brought the mug to my mouth gulping down the warm liquid, I desperately needed it to wake me up.

"You've been gone for four years." His voice was heavy and groggy, and my body slightly jumped.

I turned around, he was sitting with his back against the bed frame. Last night I removed his shirt since it was covered in vomit, and his body was covered in dark purple bruises. I stood up and placed my mug down on top of the table, my feet carried me to the bed and I sat right in front of him only inches away.

"The bruises," I whispered, my hand hovering over his lower stomach. Last minute, I decided against touching him. "who did this to you?"

His eyes stared back at mine, his breathing deepened with my closeness. "I paid someone to do that."

"Why would you do this to yourself?"

"Because I deserve it."

I pulled my hand back, my harsh eyes demanding his stare. "No one deserves to be abused." I said.

I should know, he's forgetting I use to be covered in bruises. My breath met his, my cheeks were flushed and my mouth was parted from the confusion. He held nothing in his eyes, no softness, no understanding. The man I loved was gone and it was my fault, he has no son, he has no friends, he has no happiness and it's all because he chose me.

"How long?"

"How long what?" He asked, his eyes looking everywhere else but at mine.

"How long has it been since you've spoken to your son?"

His jaw tightened, and I could see the pain written across his face. "I haven't seen or spoken to him in four years."

Four years? Four years without his son, no wonder why he wants to punish himself. He did a terrible thing but there's no question in my mind that he loves his so more than he'll ever love me, more than he'll ever love anyone.

"In our last conversation, he was upset, and called me by my first name."

"I'm so sorry." I whispered, guilt was thick in my voice and my head lowered from the shame.

I can't look him in the eyes any longer and act like I didn't ruin his life, all because I love him and wanted to be selfish for once in my life. I've hurt multiple people and the only person I regret hurting is him, that's how I feel about him. My hands were shaky just thinking about letting him go for good, it was true, I can't live in a world where he doesn't exist and he's definitely on the path of never existing again.

"I should've stayed away and gotten help for you from a distance, I'm sorry." I said, stuttering like an idiot. "I'm still ruining your life."

His hand touched both of mine, my breathing stopped and my body froze. I stared at his familiar hand, his touch brought me back to life. My eyes slowly trailed up his arm to his face, his eyes finally showing some sort of emotion.