LI

The force of the blast shattered the passenger window of the sedan and sent a spray of glass into Crystal's hair. The car swerved and clipped a tree, ripping loose its front fender which dragged against gravel as Bryce took control of the steering wheel. Limbs and even whole trunks collapsed behind them and he watched the destruction settle in the rearview mirror as he sped back towards the road.

They had arrived in the campsite's parking lot seconds before. The field was hidden under a layer of smoke. Bryce left Crystal in the car and struggled to make out what had happened. After a moment his eyes adjusted and he began to see the black figures wandering through the rows between tents. Their rifles at their side.

One of the traffickers saw him and began motioning to the others. Bryce watched them, confused. When he realized who these men were he turned and sprinted back to the car. The engine squealed when he turned it and the tires spun in place for a long time before catching. As they pulled away he saw that two of them were running after them, their guns raised and ready to fire. And just as they were about to do so a plume of white swallowed them and the ground rose beneath the car.

The big tent was gone, as was all trace of life in the campsite. Specs of dirt and clay and wood fell onto the windshield like sleet. The detonation left both of their ears ringing. Bryce tried to speak but could not hear his own voice. Crystal looked at him and shook her head.

"I said we gotta get out of town."

Crystal nodded.

"Are you alright?"

She nodded again.

"I can't keep goin like this. It never ends."

Bryce turned out onto the road without breaking. The tires screamed against the pavement. When the car had righted he clamped down on the steering wheel and pinned the accelerator with his foot. The surrounding landscape passed with increased speed until the forest became a blur of greenery. As they drove the helicopter's shadow hovered over them like an omen.