Chapter 100

September 2020

"Come in." I said when I heard a loud knock on the door.

"Liv, I don't want to alarm you but we needed to be mobile 15 minutes ago." David told me, coming inside. When he saw me, he smiled widely. "You look beautiful. Maybe it's fine if we're a little late."

"Hope he doesn't get cold feet."

"Please, if that boy could, he'd marry you twice." David told me as he approached me and stood behind me. I looked at our reflections in the mirror, me in my long, white dress and him in his tuxedo. "I make a dashing man of honor, if I say so myself." David said grinning.

"Just don't steal the show too much. Thiago mentioned something about your man of honor speech that I hope was just a joke."

"Have you ever known Thiago to joke? That man cannot make a joke to save his life." David told me. "Besides, in the six years that I've known you Livvie, you've given me material for 6 or 7 standup routines at least. People would pay for the stories I have to tell."

"The only thing I have to remind you is that I'm going to be your best woman at your wedding soon and I will repay the favor. So, you should consider that." I told him as I grabbed my phone and lipstick and put them in my white, beaded purse.

"I haven't even proposed to Clara yet! And how do you know I'd even pick you?" David protested, holding the door open for me.

"As if you wouldn't! I am practically the reason you two are together."

"Funny, I remember things differently." David said. "Now enough with the talking and let's get you married Livs. It's time for me to retire from Olivia duty. It's been a long and hard six years but the outcome was worth it."

~*~

"Ladies and gentlemen. As the best man and actually the sole reason why we're here I just want to say: Fuck, I can't believe we actually made it."

"David! You can't curse in a wedding speech! It's going to be forever!" Clara exclaimed, pointing towards one of the cameras in the room that was recording.

"Sorry, sorry love. Sorry guys. I'm just really emotional right now and it's all because I made a ton of money today. See there was a bet and I'm not gonna name names of course, about whether or not this wedding would actually go through. Or if we'd have a runaway bride situation in our hands. But I never bet against my friends." David said looking at me and Neymar, smiling.

"Wait, there is a guest in this wedding that thought I would run away?" I asked, not believing what I was hearing. I looked around the room but no one said anything. "Wow guys. The lack of faith is just... Uh. If I find out who it was, me and them are having words." I said, a little too happy for that person losing their money. "Can you believe that?" I asked my husband.

"Well, I wouldn't bet on it but I would lie if I said it didn't cross my mind." Neymar whispered in my ear. Before I could react, David continued with his speech:

"As I said before, I was 100% sure we would make it." David said, in direct contrast of his last sentence, making everyone laugh. "We've been through a lot and I say we, because no one has been through it more than me." Jesus Christ, I thought, someone take the mic from him. "In all seriousness, I have watched these two ever since they first met back in 2014 and even then, when Neymar was just Juninho, I could tell this was endgame. Brother, I don't think you would ever find someone more suited to you than Livvie here." David told Neymar who nodded, before planting a kiss on the side of my head. "And Livvie, you married a Brazilian football superstar and now you have a World Cup medal to show for it, not bad, ha?"