Chapter 1-Comfort

Bắt đầu từ đầu

                “Thanks honey. Sorry I didn’t have time to make anything for breakfast for you two this morning; I’m running late.” I smiled at her reassuringly.

                “It’s okay mom. I’m not really hungry.” I hugged her quickly and kissed her on the cheek. She returned it and then turned to David, hugging him as well before grabbing her jacket and throwing it on, rushing toward the front door.

                “I’ll see you guys after work! Love you!” She called over her shoulder.

                “Love you too!” We called back and then the front door closed. Today is Saturday but she has to work. The only day that she has off is Sunday and sometimes she’ll get a holiday off. David has the weekends off and I’m still in high school. We have been talking about moving for a while now and none of us mind so mom bought us a pretty nice house that’s affordable. All we have to do is pack and move in. We’re going to finish packing when mom gets home. Hopefully we’ll have all of our stuff packed and ready to go by noon tomorrow; that’s the plan. We all want and need a fresh start, to get away from here, the place dad was… killed.

                He was a fighter so his job was to protect the pack. There was a rogue attack and the alpha called him and all the other fighters through the mind link. I still remember it like it happened yesterday. I remember sitting in the living room, cowering into David’s side on the couch as mom paced the floor in front of us, biting her nails and running shaky fingers through her hair over and over.

                There was a knock on the door and mom rushed to it, us following closely behind her. She opened the door to reveal the beta. He said the exact words that we were praying he wouldn’t. Mom fell to the floor as a strangled cry flew from her lips, the awful words hanging in the air.

                “I’m so sorry Hailey but… Thomas is dead.”

                My hands trembled as I recalled that night, taking a carton of orange juice from the fridge. I shakily poured myself a glass and took a sip. David was sitting at the kitchen table, reading some article in the newspaper. I sat down across from him and stared down at my hands, crossing and uncrossing my fingers. After a few minutes David looked up from the newspaper and I quickly finished my orange juice, putting my glass in the sink and rushed into the living room. I don’t want him to worry about me. He and mom already have enough to worry about without me adding onto the pile.

                I went back to my room and closed the door, taking my IPod off of my side table and putting on some music. I got a box from the corner of my room and started to pack.

                Almost two hours later I had everything packed except for my bed, side table, and the dresser. The moving people are going to get those and bring them to the new house when we get there tomorrow. We already started packing yesterday so now we just have some of mom’s stuff and some other things then we’ll be done. My room looks kind of empty and dull now that all of my things aren’t in it. The window seat looks bare without the little mountain of pillows that I had stacked up on it.

                I looked around one last time, making sure that I’m not forgetting anything, and flopped down on the bed, grabbing my IPod and changing it to Dear Agony by Breaking Benjamin. It played quietly in the background as I lay on my comfortable bed, thinking about what it will be like when we move and I have to go to a new school. I don’t have any friends here which gets kind of lonely but I prefer that over having friends.

                The reason why is because I don’t want to get close to anyone. Ever since… dad, I’ve turned into a non-social person. I used to have friends and I was happy, bright, and very talkative. Now I rarely smile, I don’t talk to anyone other than mom and David unless I absolutely have to, and I’m almost always sad or depressed. I try, I really do. I try to be at least a little bit more happy and pleasant to be around but it’s not easy.

                I closed my eyes as I listened to the soft music, slowly drifting off to sleep and still wondering what our new home will be like.

                Groggily, I opened my eyes and reached around for my IPod to check the time. It’s 4:27. Mom should be here any time. I sat up slowly and rubbed a hand through my hair, looking around at my now boring room. Standing up, I went into the bathroom that’s connected to my room and brushed my teeth again because my mouth feels kind of gross. I changed into a pair of sweats and a baggy black sweatshirt, shoving my IPod in my pocket and trudging down the stairs.

                I found David in the living room, lounging on the couch with the TV on showing some kind of action movie. He wasn’t even paying attention to it, just playing on his phone. I shuffled over to him like a zombie and plopped down, snuggling into his side. He wrapped an arm around me and I watched him play Temple Run. He’s really good at it; who knows how long he could keep going if he really wanted to. The front door opened and mom walked in a few minutes later, her long brown hair tied up in a messy bun. It goes down a few inches below her shoulders in soft ringlets. I got dad’s black hair and her curls. David has slightly wavy brown hair but it’s so dark that it’s almost black.

                She gave us both a hug and a kiss on the forehead before sinking down into the other couch and sighing. David got up to start on dinner and mom and I went to finish packing.

                We packed the last box and put it beside the others. We went into the kitchen where the smell of delicious food was coming from and my stomach growled. David made homemade pizza, my favorite.

                When I finished my last piece of pizza I leaned back in the chair, full, and patted my stomach. Mom and David also finished and I picked up the plates, washing them and putting them away quickly. David and I hugged mom goodnight and I followed him up the stairs, my eyelids drooping despite the fact that I slept almost all day.

                I said goodnight to David and then went into my room, standing in the middle of the room staring at my bed. After a minute or two I grabbed Mr.Teddy and left my room, closing the door. I went down the hall to David’s room and stood in the hall before knocking quietly. I heard a quiet ‘come in’ so I opened the door to see him sitting on his bed with only a pair of sweats on. He sleeps without a shirt and I’m used to it; it doesn’t bother me.

                He looked up at me, my face sheepish.

                “I was wondering if… if I could sleep in here with you again. I don’t want to sleep alone…” before I finished talking he had gotten under the covers and scooted over, leaving room and holding the blankets up for me to crawl in beside him. I let a small, grateful smile slip onto my face and I went over, slipping under the blanket and relaxing into the comfortable bed. David tucked the blanket around me and kissed my forehead, wrapping his arms around me like he does every time I sleep in here with him.

                He’s my best friend and I’m closer to him than anyone else.

                “Night  Cassie.”

                “Night,” I murmured, my eyes closing as I already felt myself slipping into a deep sleep.