"Oh, yes, Wickham and his misfortune. You take a lot of interest in him," he fumed, his hands balling into fists. "I told you there is no room for the other in this relationship. And definitely not him."

"We never had a relationship," Ella said fervently to match his contemptuous tone. "You have reduced Wickham to live in literal poverty. Have you no shame?"

"Is this your opinion of me? Thank you for telling me all about my faults. I greatly appreciate it. I will never make the mistake of making myself vulnerable again," he said with a closed expression. It betrayed no more of what he was feeling.

"I will never forgive you for this, William. If Jane is a gold digger, then what am I, huh?" Ella exploded, walking past him and grabbing her loungewear strewn on an armchair. "You say you love me, yet you think I will abscond with your money. If you must know, your wealth and family status never mattered to me. Your pride is ludicrous."

"It's no better than your prejudice based on first impressions, Ella." William didn't have a look of a man who would given in in their argument. "You honestly think that you have a measure of people by what you see of them in public. I have told you before you can be mistaken about how little people reveal themselves outside their homes. Not everyone has the luxury to be as absurd as your mother."

Ella was left stunned at his criticism of her and her mother and, by extension of it—her family. Mortification and hurt jabbed at her. "You didn't mean that."

"God damn it, Ella," he swore aloud.

Instead of saying anything else, Ella continued with her packing. He stood aloof, watching her as she did her task at hand. After a while, she said, "I am leaving for home. I will change my tickets for the earliest flight. In the meanwhile, I will be staying at the hotel."

"You aren't going to a hotel," he said.

"You don't dictate to me like you do to others," she warned him.

"In London, it's impossible to get hotels at such a last minute, and if you managed to get a decent one, the prices would be through the roof. If you must go, leave then, but not until you have rescheduled your flight. Stay in one of the guestrooms if sharing my bed disgusts you so much now."

"No, William, I can't be under one roof with you. Your rudeness knows no bound. So many people have been hurt by your actions." She grabbed her luggage and headed for the door. Halting, she retraced her steps and gave him a peck on the cheek. His warm skin still caused butterflies in her stomach. "Thank you for showing a bit of your world."

"Let me call Claridge and make arrangements for you," he suggested, crestfallen at what was happening.

"I hope you know I find obscene wealth repulsive. I would prefer something simple. When I return home, I will transfer you the money," Ella said, wishing she could hold it long enough in front of him.

It took William only five minutes to book her stay in one of the reasonable hotels. He clicked off his phone. "It's done. My driver will take you to your there."

"Goodbye. I wish you all the best." Without a glance backward, she quit his townhouse. It was only when she had checked into a bed and breakfast that she let the tears fall.

"Ella, you are back." Kitty gave her a joyous hug as she entered her living room with her tote bag slung over her shoulder.

"Honey, you should have told me you were arriving yesterday. I would have picked you up," her father said. He stood up to give her a hug. "How was your trip?"

"Awesome." Ella forced a smile on her lips as she embraced her father and then Kitty and Mary. "Jane called to tell me she is returning tomorrow with Uncle Gareth and Aunt Tilly this weekend. We are going to stay here for a big family get-together."