Chapter 144: It's His Style to Cause Havoc

Start from the beginning

"What's going on? Has this got something to do what the large owl?"

"I can only assume that it does," Hermione agrees, turning to face her cousin and friends. "In private study, continue with the laws of transfiguration. Miss Lander, could you let the Gryffindors' who couldn't wait to leave too, there will be consequences for anyone who doesn't return to my class with the full list."

"Yes, professor," Ruby agrees reluctantly.

Once packed up, Hermione ushers the children out of her classroom, locking the door behind her before rushing down to the staff room.

Most of Hogwarts' staff are already sitting around the comfortable armchairs and couches, sitting at the round table, or standing in the kitchen making hot drinks. When Hermione arrives, Draco beckons her to the small round table in the kitchenette, where he's already made them a cup of tea.

"What's going on?" She asks, sitting beside him and Pansy.

"You know as much as I do." He shrugs.

"It's got to do with that owl, right?" Hermione asks, taking a sip from the much-needed hot beverage.

"What owl?" Draco asks.

"Of course!" She suddenly realises that he wouldn't have seen the owl from the dungeons. "I never saw it myself, but my students wouldn't settle after they saw this large owl."

Behind them, Aurora Sinistra comments, "My sixth-year students saw it too. You'd think they'd know how to handle themselves, but they were far too excitable to continue to teach."

"I didn't bother trying." Pansy grins. "I left them theorising about the damned bird. Of course, if Minerva asks, I'll tell her debating different theories is an important skill in understanding history, blah, blah, blah."

Aurora chuckles at the younger professor's antics, taking the last spare seat a the table just as the door bursts open. The staff were expecting to find Minerva entering with information on what was going on. Instead, Hagrid stands before them, pure excitement written across his face.

"Did you see the size of that great grey owl?"

A few of the staff groan, going back to their own conversations, used to Hagrid's interest in animals and finding no pleasure in listening to him ramble about specific creatures.

Hermione beckons her friend over, wondering if he has any knowledge about the owl.

Hagrid pulls up a stool to join them at the table. "The largest I ever saw. He must have had a wingspan of at least five-and-a-half feet," he continues talking about the owl.

"What do you think it's doing here, Hagrid?" Hermione asks.

"Delivering post from someone important. The great grey owl is native across Russia and Canada but is so rarely seen that it's called the Phantom of the North. I only know of a few people in Britain who have used the great grey owl as their personal owl."

"Who?" Draco asks, mesmerised by the bird.

"A few Ministers of Magic, but most notably, You-Know-Who, during the first war," Hagrid answers, eyes widening as he realises what he just said.

The staff room had fallen silent during Hagrid's explanation. The professors were now exchanging looks of pure fear, wondering if the owl had been sent from the new Death Eater movement. Surely their new Dark Lord would know the connection between Lord Voldemort and the great grey owl.

"They have been awfully quiet since Harry's birthday," Filius Flitwick comments.

Hermione shakes her head. "One showed up at Scorpius' birthday party."