Chapter 17

After the dinner at the Sully's, Aonung had been a little less nervous about telling his own parents. He knew they cared about him and probably wouldn't care about him being with a boy.

He wanted to tell them as soon as possible. And he wanted Neteyam to be there with him.

He decided to do it later that day. Neteyam was with him for the whole day, trying to 'hype' him up for the evening.

They both sat at the edge of the dock walkway, feet dangling in the water. Aonung's head was led onto Neteyam's chest as the other boy's arm wrapped around his waist.

"You know, you don't have to be so worried right?" Neteyam's hand stroked through the boy's hair as he spoke. "I know but I just can't help it. It's kinda nerve wracking. I mean what if they get angry at me?"
"We both know they care too much to be angry with you."
"I know. You're right Tey."

——

That evening the two boys made their way to Aonung's hut. There they found Ronal and Tonowari preparing dinner for that evening.

The boy's parents looked up towards the two boys. Neteyam stayed in the doorway as the other sat down with his parents.
"Hey mama, pa, I um have something to tell you guys."
"Go on son"
"Well I'm um kind of dating someone."
"Someone? Who is it son?"
"It's um Neteyam."

Both of the boy's parents eyes went straight towards the boy stood in their doorway. Surprise on Tonowari's face, a blank but underwhelmed expression on Ronal's.

"You.... your dating Sully's eldest? Really?" Aonung nodded at his father, uncertainty on his face. "Is he good to you son?"
"Really good Pa."
"Well I don't have any problem with it."
"Thanks Pa."

"You're sure he is good to you baby?"
"Yes mama."
"Well I have nothing against the two of you."
"Thank you mama."

Aonung turned around towards the boy in the doorway. Neteyam had a huge smile spread across his face. Aonung stood up and left the hut and grabbed Neteyam's hand.

The two walked side by side with intertwined fingers as they made their way to their sunset spot.