Maya shook her head, tears filling her eyes. "To get your revenge? What sort of stupid revenge is this!!!" She finally screamed, regaining her composure.

       Nicholas continued like she never spoke. "I don't know how that king brainwashed you but you should not be doing this!" He said in a low but intense voice. "He is the reason our kingdom fell!"

       "He is not!" Maya screamed, fisting her arms together. "For God's sake he is not! What is wrong with you! You should have just left when I told you to!" She took several breaths, shocked at her outburst. glancing around the chambers, she looked at him. "How did you plan this?" She asked but Nicholas ignored her question.

        Instead he was glaring at her. "If he isn't the one, who did?" Nicholas asked,

        Maya returned with a glare of her own, gritting her teeth. Then with her head raised her high and her shoulder even higher, she muttered quietly "I did. I told him to."

       Maya wasn't expecting the reaction but Nicholas froze, his eyes slowly widening. "What?" He whispered, his voice cold, deadly.

       "Yes. What else were you all expecting! After treating me like a peasant all those years, what else were you really expecting?"

      "That still doesn't justify what you did!" He spoke in a much louder voice this time. "Gegoria was your home!"

     "That was never my home. A place where I was ridiculed, beaten and treated like a begger, poisoned and almost assassinated. It never was and it will never be. So to answer your question, I'm the reason Gegoria fell and you have to stop whatever this is!"

      Nicholas stood immobile for so long, Maya was beginning to think he probably didn't hear what she said. Then his gaze narrowed as contempt filled his eyes. "I'm afraid it might be too late for that." He growled underneath his breath and lunged for her.

      Maya screeched, cowering in fear when a crash was heard ahead in front of her. Nicholas's hand hung in mid air as he turned to the direction of the sound. Maya turned towards the door and found Dexter standing there, looking several times bigger than his original size. Not to mention teh furious look on his face.

       "What. Are. You. Doing. Here?" He grated out, his cold voice sending shivers down Nicholas spine. His grey eyes glowered and his aura radiated murderous intent. Some soldiers had accompanied him as well, all poised and ready. Maya almost cried at the relief that flooded her system to see him and she made to run to him. But he wasn't staring at her. His gaze was fixed on Nicholas who was beside her now.

      "That was some distraction wasn't it? A carefully orchestrated distraction. But this is where you're headed. I should have known that sooner." Dexter took a step closer, his bloodied sword glinting dangerously.

       In the blink of an eye, Nicholas got behind Maya, pulling out a dagger and settling it on her neck. The cold metal pressed on her skin and Maya stiffened, beyond terrified.

         "One more step and I am slashing her neck off!" Nicholas growled just as menacingly.

        Dexter paused almost immediately.

        "Nicholas, stop this madness right now!" Maya gritted underneath her breath, thankful that her voice wasn't reflecting the fear she was feeling.

       "What do you think you are doing?" Dexter asked, still furious.

        "What I should have done moments ago." Nicholas answered.

       "Mark my words, I will be the one to slit that stupid throat of yours."

       "Not if I slit hers first. Now stand back." Nicholas muttered, pushing Maya against his bloodied body. "Now listen to me very carefully..." Nicholas began to say, as he dug the blade deeper into maya's neck, drawing blood from the bruising. " I am going to walk out here with the queen and you will order your soldiers to not lay a hand on me... Unless you want the princess dead."

         Dexter's gaze flickered to Maya and he hesitated. "Why would you want to walk out here with the queen and what makes you think I'll let you?"

       "That is for me to know. Now order them to step back."

       Just then, Maya felt a sharp pang at her abdomen, causing her to hiss in pain. The sound caused Dexter to look at her, his eyes filled with alarm. The smell of blood wafting through her nose made her want to double over and throw up, her chest burning. But she shook her head, her eyes filling with tears.

       "No, no, no... Dexter no." She muttered underneath her breath, her voice breaking. But Maya didn't think he was seeing her though he was looking at her. In her foggy mind, she tried to figure out why. Of course he won't see her, she's at the brink of death here with a dagger close to her neck  and this is way his mother died

        His mother died. Maya felt a chill at the thought. She raised up her head to look at him, ignoring the sharp blade pressed against her neck. This scene was repeating itself all over again. Her heart broke all over again. Though he looked composed, Maya could tell past the glower in his eyes how afraid he was.

        Finally Dexter spoke. "Everyone take a step back." He uttered coldly.  His soldiers turned to him in surprise. "But, your majesty...!" They began in protest.

        "Take a step back!"

       Noting the order in the king's voice, they drew themselves back, sheathing their swords.

       Then to Nicholas, he drew a breath, his glowering eyes narrowing into slits. "You will not harm her."

       "I had no intentions of doing so.... But I could always change my mind." He taunted. Once again, Maya felt the dagger against her skin, and she whimpered. if only she could bend down and pick that damn thing up! But her mind was too muddled up to think.

     She could only stand and cry. "No, I don't want to go with him." She muttered underneath her breath, her head spinning as she gazed pleadingly at Dexter, tears running down her face. For once, his gaze softened. But only for a moment. It was back to that hard mask soon enough.  That dagger pressed behind her back her now, Nicholas began to drag her out of the chambers. Only  then did she scream, beginning to struggle.

       Stepping into the hallways, the acrid smell of blood and smoke assaulted her nose and she could longer keep down the urge to bend over and vomit. Bile rising up to her throat, she retched, emptying the contents of her stomach down her on the blood stained floors. The last thing she saw was Dexter's broken face before her gaze turned blurry, sinking into the depths of unconsciousness.

Thanks for reading!!!
So sorry for the late updates, School is taking its toll on me here!
See you in the next chapter 🙈🙈
Don't forget to vote and comment!!!