ⅩⅩⅣ

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒

"𝘐𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘥? "

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

╰┈˚ · ° .  ᴍᴀɪᴠᴇɴ ᴀɴᴅ ʀʜʏꜱᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴀᴛ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʀᴍ ᴄʜᴀɪʀꜱ, a glass of alcohol in their hands. In front of them, out of the windowless wall, were the mountains covered in thick layers of white snow. The wind outside howled but not even a single blast entered the palace.

"Aren't you missing some knives?" Rhysand asked, scanning Maiven's uniform. He had noticed the lack of weapons

The red-haired fae sighed "The High Lord of masks and flowers decide that only his guards can be armed"

"The High Lord of masks and flowers? " Rhysand snorted "I am going to remember it"

Maiven smiled amused but she couldn't help the scoff that followed "His guards are incompetent" She shaked her head

"Why so?" Rhys asked

"Tamlin decided to have some of them following me around" Mai explained "The thing is, I shouldn't know that they are following me"

Rhysand burst into laughter "Did he really think that you were not going to notice someone following you?" he said in disbelief "And I pretty sure that you have more than just three knives on you" He pointed out

The girl answer was just a smirk but for the High Lord was enough to know that indeed she had more weapons on her

"Are you going to tell me what that  was?" Mai asked seriously

"I already told you, I don't know." Rhys told her "But when we first met on Calanmai, something weird happened with my magic. It was like I had no control over it and it just bursted out towards you. I leashed it back before it could do anything but it had never happened to me before"

"So it was your fault."Maiven scoffed. "I almost fell asleep on my horse. I was drained"

"Sorry" Rhysand grinned. He definitely wasn't sorry. "Under The Mountain I could feel it, the bond or whatever this is. It wasn't like it is now, it was more like-"

"A whisper of it," Maiven concluded. She knew what he was talking about "It's not a mating bond, right?!" The crimson red-haired Fae shouted with wide eyes

"No, Vee. It's not" Rhys chuckled

"Oh, Thank The Cauldron" Maiven sighed, placing a hand on her heart. "Why did you reach out to me tonight?"

Rhysand took a whole minute to answer. He looked at Mai and his eyes softned "In the last three weeks sometimes I could feel your emotions. It always lasted just a couple of seconds and it was faint. But tonight it lasted more and It was a lot stronger than the other times."

Maiven stared at the mountains and nodded her head "I had a nightmare. I already had them for years but since... They are worse. I am sorry that it got to you"

Rhysand shaked his head "Don't apologize for it." He told her "I have nightmares too"

They stayed in silence for a couple of minutes just staring at the snowy mountain in front of them.

"Why did you always came into my cell?" Maiven asked breaking the silence

"At first it was to find out what made my magic act that way"

"And then?" Rhysand didn't answer her question "I think that we were both alone." She started "And maybe even if it was for just five minutes, I needed someone to help me clean the blood off my hands and that would not judge me for it. And maybe you needed to not be the High Lord that everyone feared"

"Or her whore" Rhysand whispered

"Everyone made sacrifices for the people that they cared about Under The Mountain. But some, made more than others"

Maiven sighed breaking up again the silence that followed her words "I want to show you something" she said unsheathing the knife from her thigh

"If this something includes that knife, then I don't know if I want to see it. '' Rhysand joked as a smirk formed on his lips

The red-haired Fae rolled her eyes "A couple of days after I got back to the Spring Court, I was still trying to get used to this body. I shattered a glass and It cutted my hand"

Maiven raised the knife. Its tip directly on the fingertip of her left hand's middle finger. She applied a small pressure and the sharp point pricked her skin. A small drop of blood quickly formed

"And it was then that I discovered that I could do..." She said while sheathing again her knife "This "

Maiven positioned her other middle finger a couple of inches above the bloodied one. With a fluid motion she moved her right hand higher. The small drop of blood elongated, until it wrapped itself around the hand and wrist.

Slightly moving her fingers, Maiven continued to manipulate the blood who moved smoothly under her command. She then snapped her fingers together and the flow of red blood disappeared as it was never there before.

Rhysand stared with wide eye "You are a Bloodsinger " He whispered

"Is that how it is called?" Maiven asked confused. "I wanted to do some research at the library at the Spring Court, but I didn't want anyone to know about it. And with the guards following me around..."

"No!" Rhysand shouted standing up from his chair "Maiven listen to me. Don't talk about it with anyone else, alright? Please"

Maiven stood up too and placed a hand on Rhysand's arm "I won't, Rhys. Alright?" He sighed and nodded his head before he sat again in his armchair "Is it bad that I can do this?" She asked sitting down again

"Not at all." Rhysand smiled.

The High Lord looked at the Bloodsinger and grinned

"I just found out what our connection is."

˗ˏˋ 𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞 ˊˎ˗

Hello everyone! New chapter!

And you all will discover a lot more in the following chapter! I am really excited because I had everything planned since the beginning. 

I really hope that you will like this!

Bloodsingers can manipulate blood and have blood magic other than the standard magic that High Fae have btw.

Anyways thank you for reading this and if you'd like, please, let me know what you thought of this chapter with a comment and a star.

𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞!

– 𝐋𝐨𝐥𝐚 ☾