Shijima Mei || 𝘗𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘴 ||

[A/N]

This story is set between 1982 and 1985, since Shijima chronologically died 30 years before the events of TBHK. It is said that TBHK is set in the 2010s, so Shijima would have died sometime in 1980-something. 

I am truly sorry if the last chapters have sucked, but my inspiration and motivation is kind of leaving my body slowly. Besides, school is a pain.

Enjoy!

________________________________________________

"I told you about my cousin, right? Aika." You started. "You won't believe what happened to her and her best friend."

You and your absolute best friend, Mei Shijima, were having your usual catch-up sessions. These sessions took place every two weeks, since Mei had been taken to the hospital due to her health worsening. You both agreed on eating pancakes and drinking tea while catching up. To you, that sounded like old lady meetings, but you didn't care. You were seeing your best friend and eating pancakes! How could you complain? 

You would just catch up with her, telling her of what's she's missing out on, your family dramas, your other friends' happenings, and so much more. Whatever came out from your mouth sounded more like gossip.

"What happened to her and her friend?" The brunette beside you asked. You breathed in, about to tell a story long like a novel.

"Okay, so, you know how Michael Jackson, that American musician Aika spent a lot of time talking about, released his album Thriller? Well, Aika managed to get that album for her birthday, and so did her friend!" You frowned. "Then they decided it was a good idea to show it off to the older kids in their neighborhood- the ones that are like 20 something." You sighed. "Of course, the guys stole the album, and now both are completely destroyed."

"Oh, I hope they get it back soon." Mei commented as she stuffed her mouth full with pancakes. You did the same.

"Oh!" You swallowed. "One of our classmates was dared to summon Hanako-San from the Bathroom. She did, she tried, but it didn't work. Guess it's just a rumor after all..." You sighed again. "Maybe you could've seen her! You have a good eye, Mei! Or maybe she didn't want to see us... I get it, a bunch of student storming your place is not that nice."

Mei chuckled. She looked at her empty plate, then back at you. "Do you want more pancakes?" She asked. You eagerly nodded. 

You and Mei ordered more pancakes, and boy were they to die for. You and Mei both absolutely loved meeting up with each other, not only because you got to see each other, but because you got to talk together, and eat some delicious pancakes. You didn't care it was around 3pm. Who said that pancakes were only a breakfast food? You could eat whatever you wanted at any hour you wanted! 

"Now, tell me more about your experiences, Mei. How have you been?" You inquired. Mei's smile fell slightly. "Mei?" You asked, wondering what was wrong, then it dawned to you. 

You had been informed that Mei's health was quickly deteriorating and that many doctors and nurses said she was going to die soon. You adverted your eyes, trying to think about something else to talk about, so the awkwardness and tension could leave, as well as your sadness.

Thankfully, Mei broke the awkward silence filling the air. "Well, someone from the upper floor recovered." She started, putting her hand in her chin, indicating she was thinking. "It was another patient's birthday, and since the patient is from Greece, the nurses coordinated and  agreed on singing him happy birthday in Greek." She took a sip from her tea. "Truly beautiful."

"That sounds amazing!" You grinned in response, then fell silent. You didn't know what to say now. You tried looking around to find something to talk about. Your gaze fell on the only clock in the room. Your eyes widened as the clock hit 4:36 pm. You had told your parents you would return at 4:40, and your house was more that 30 minutes away.

"Oh, no! I'm late! I'm so, so, very sorry, Mei. I have to go! See you next week!" You stood up from your seat and went over to your best friend. You gave her a big bear hug, to which she gave back happily. 

"I love you, Mei. Stay safe." You whispered. You obviously meant you loved her as a friend, but you dropped a little hint that you had liked her for a while. You noticed Mei blush a bit by your statement, but she brushed it off.

"I love you too." She beamed. "I'll stay safe if you do too." You turned, and started heading towards the exit. "Wait, Y/N?" Mei called, and you naturally turned around. "Thank you for always being early to these 'dates', for always telling me things, and for always listening, for supporting me, everything. I mean it." 

You smiled back at the brunette before waving and leaving the hospital. Mei stayed there for a while, celebrating that you told her you loved her, and you swore you heard her squeal when you left the room.