꧁Chapter 3꧂

"Would you like some tea?" he asked me. "I would offer you wine, but you're too young for that. Oh wow, you might be too young to be in an older dude's apartment. Sorry, I didn't think of that."

I kneeled behind a low coffee table.

"You were too curious, huh."

He tilted his head and looked at me. "Yes, yes I was."

"I'll end your suffering then," I joked. "Do you know what your general weakness is according to my quirk?"

He considered it for a while and a smile escaped his lips for a second before settling on "I don't know."

"You have a tendency to rush into things."

"Do I?" He placed a cup with a teabag in front of me and poured boiling water on it.

I bounced the teabag up and down. "Not recently, I'd say."

Sir Nakahara slammed his kettle back in its place and looked at me, furious. I immediately tensed up.

He quickly got a grip and exhaled slowly. "Sorry."

I didn't say a word. I had clearly said too much.

"And your point is," he continued, "that that's the reason Mori put us together."

"That might be one," I meekly replied.

He sat down at the adjacent side of the table, comfortably next to me.

Silence ensued.

"I said I was sorry."

"Um," I gulped my drink, "what happened?" I wasn't sure whether he wanted me to pry or not, but he probably just wanted me to say something. Mission accomplished?

"I was disappointed in myself. You really are my kryptonite."

My eyes danced. "Is that a bad thing or a good thing?"

"Both." He changed the subject quickly, "What do you think are the other reasons he put us together?" His mood had become serious and he seemed worried.

"As an apprentice?"

"Maybe. Any other ideas?"

"Do you have any?" (He clearly wanted to say something.)

"I do."

He pulled the crunched-up paper out of my pocket. "I think he predicted that you'd be upset at this mission and sent me to comfort you." He held up the paper.

"True, but couldn't it have been anyone in theory?"

"Don't you see?" he exclaimed and threw it away. "We're playing right into his hands." He grabbed my hands and held them softly between his. "He knows that I love you!"

"You love me?" I asked in surprise.

"I know it isn't the ideal scenario, you're so young and everything, but I couldn't help it! I planned to keep quiet about it..."

"Thank you, Sir Nakahara, it is good to hear that I am loved." I really didn't know what to say. Did I love him too?

"Please, call me Chuuya."

He let go of my hands and came out from behind the table to have nothing between us. He slowly put one hand behind my back and the other he placed on my cheek. His touch was gentle and careful. I could have stopped him (his movements were so slow), but I didn't want to.

"Will you end my suffering once more, my love?"

We stared at each other until I realised he was waiting for an answer. I didn't dare to speak so I closed my eyes and moved in closer. Soon enough our lips met and I could feel Chuuya's hold strengthen before he pulled away and let go, but his touch lingered.

"But like I said, we're playing into Boss's hand. He wants you to stay in the mafia because of me."

"I didn't know I could leave."

"He would have let you, you know. He told me and the others that there is a possibility you might resign so we should be careful about relying on you too much."

I pulled away and stood up. "And he probably said it to make me more likely to stay with you, to make it seem like it's more choice when it actually might not be!" Frustration evident in my tone.

After a while of staring out of the window, still sitting, he said, "That's true. You know, forget what I said."

He grabbed the paper with the three boys' info and handed it to me.

"See you tomorrow after school."