you promised me

Warning: Major Character Death.

Extra tags: modern au, illnesses, hurt no comfort, major character death, running away, negative inner dialogue, fluff, cancer

Prompt: promises

Day: 18 [ Oct 18, 2k22 ]

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Day 18: promises - you promised me, now I promise you

Date: October 18th, 868

Levi stood under the magnolia tree, a reminder of a little sister he lost so long ago, one he planted and grew from seed after her death. He was waiting for someone. Someone who promised would be here. But Levi had been waiting for two days. And he still hadn't arrived. He's either been killed or... or he betrayed that promise made a year ago when they first got together. Levi hopes it was neither. Because if Eren was dead, or if Eren betrayed his love, then Levi would have no other reason for staying here among the living. He'd given the brunette no reason for leaving him. Yet, it appeared almost like he did. He left him alone, with no more family, friends, or a lover.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, inhaling the early fall smells of freshly changed leaves and light rain, and he turned back to where his car was. He walked down the hill, but before he could retrieve his keys from his back pocket, he heard another vehicle pull in. He looked up, expecting teenagers, hoping it was Eren, and his heart expanded with joy, jumping ecstatically in his tight chest. The tears that had been threatening to fall fell, whispering down his cheeks as he grinned and ran into Eren's welcoming arms as soon as the younger man was out of his seat.

"You made it! What the fuck took you so long?!" Levi groused, whimpering as Eren closed his older lover into his embrace.

"I had to see my mother before I left town for good," he answered quietly.

"Oh," Levi sighed out. That's right. Eren's mother died two years this day, so of course it's logical that he'd see her grave, and maybe leave a bouquet of sunflowers, her favorite flower, on her grave, before he moved away to Trost with his older lover.

"It's alright, Levi. Even I forget some important days sometimes." Eren chuckled as he stroked Levi's cheek, brushing away the tears collecting under his eyes.

"Y-yeah, of course..." Levi looked away, feeling shy now. He's ten years older than the 24 year old artist, yet he always managed to feel like a teenage girl when held closely and treated so softly by his lover of a year and a month.

"Let's go. We'll miss our plane. We promised Petra we'd meet her and Hanji there. They won't wait forever. We'll have to catch a different plane if we're late."

"Don't remind me," Levi sighed. "Alright. Let's go."

They stepped away from one another and into the vehicle and drove to the SRM airport. They met Hanji and Petra at their gate and went through security, and then they boarded their flight and flew off towards their new destination where the four of them would begin their lives anew. Levi got a job at a modern design business, owned by a family line of Smiths, where he mentored and watched over a small group of interns in an enclosed office area, handing in proposals and creating attractive new phone, tablet, and computer blueprints that partner with android, Motorola and Apple companies.

Eren was a new mural artist for the school system, painting a new mural in each of the school's canteens for the students and faculty. Hanji and Petra got jobs in the high school as science and language arts teachers.

Eren was currently planning out the elementary school's mural, planning on doing one that included all hobbies and people of color. His idea came with a fantasy setting involving centaurs and fairies and princesses for the girls, and even a dragon and a knight for the boys.