09 » ❝Someone Gets Hurt❞

Bắt đầu từ đầu

         "I-is it okay?" Scarlett asks her friends, who are continuing to stare at her in a way that could mean one) the dress is so fabulous that they're speechless, or two) it's hideous and she's hideous and they're never bringing her out in public again. 

         Audrey smiles. "Scarlett, it's perfect," she breathes, and Scarlett blushes, turning to smile shyly at her reflection. 

         "You look beautiful, Scar," April agrees, grinning. "And I'm sure that Chase will love it too," she teases, and Scarlett sticks her tongue out at her friend playfully. 

         And while the idea of Chase liking her dress is admittedly pretty appetizing on Scarlett's part, she'd rather buy a dress because she likes it, not to impress anyone else. Luckily Scarlett likes the dress anyway, and Chase sharing her opinion will be a pure coincidence should the topic arise.

         "I don't know," Scarlett's still unsure of herself. "I think that if he really liked me - you know, liked me, liked me, he would've asked me to the dance, don't you think?" 

         "Maybe he's not going," Audrey points out. 

         Peyton shakes her head. "He's head of the dance committee," she counters, "why would he do all of that work decorating and fundraising and selling tickets just to skip out on the dance itself? He's definitely going," she says. 

         Audrey hums in agreement. "Well, maybe he's just too shy to ask," she suggests. "After all, you did already tell him that you're going in a group. Maybe he thinks he'd be imposing if he asked you and changed things around."

         "That could be it," Scarlett nods her head in understanding. "I guess some people might think it's rude to make plans and then switch them without asking." 

         April fidgets uncomfortably in her seat. "It's not rude, exactly," she says defensively, "people make plans and change them all the time - what's the harm? It's a school dance, not a wedding," she pouts. 

         Scarlett sits down next to her friend with a knowing smile. "Alright, spill it. What's up?" she asks. 

         April sits with her lips sealed for a good while in silence, three pairs of eyes fixated on her. It isn't long before she cracks. "God, fine! Alex-asked-me-to-the-dance," she admits, and the three girls jump up, squealing. 

         "No way!" Audrey exclaims. "That's amazing!" 

         April grins. "I guess you guys leaving me alone with him was a good idea after all," she admits, blushing fiercely. 

         Scarlett beams at her. "Oh, I am so teasing him about this," she laughs. April shoots her a glare, and she holds her hands up in mock-surrender. "What? He's my cousin - that's what families do." 

         "So I guess it's just the three of us, then?" Peyton asks. 

         "Well..." April begins, and Scarlett arches a brow at her friend. "I may possibly have some other news that might rock the boat even more..."

         "Spill it, girl!" Audrey exclaims, tapping her foot. 

         April laughs. "Well, I may have overheard Alex and Chase talking in the hallway earlier about some girl he's got a crush on," she begins, "and Chase said that he was going to ask her to the dance tomorrow if he could find the courage." 

         Audrey does some more happy-dancing around the dressing room. "This is perfect! You guys are finally going to get your happily-ever-afters!" she exclaims.