VIII

I sit on the ground next to a headstone. I stare into my lap where my thighs met each other as Johnny paces back and forth.

"I can't believe we're leaving man. It could have been so great. Dude ruined everything." He grumbled, I pull myself up off the floor, ignoring the constant pulling and pains in my chest as loneliness creeped itself into my bones, the chill of it lacing itself to my spine as I grab Johnny's arm pulling him through the graveyard more.

"Come on." I mutter as he spews out more stuff under his breath.

"Suck my blood. I should've just said, I'm staying old man. Give him a Bruce Lee kick." Johnny says as he stopped again tugging his arm from my grasp as he mocks a kick almost falling.

"Boom! Right in the—" He lets out a scream as a bat appears in front of us, he hides behind me covering his face.

"Oh my god, no Dracula! Please don't kill us, we're leaving!" I let out a laugh as Mavin sits on top of a headstone, he eyes us playfully. He hops off when Johnny peeks out of from behind me,

"Follow me." He says before he begins walking the opposite way, back towards the hotel.

"Oh, no, no Mavin we can't. We're supposed to be leaving." Johnny says, Mavin turns around crossing his arms behind his back as he walks backwards.

"You sure? It'll be fun." Right away Johnny agrees walking us towards the tall vampire. I let out another laugh shaking my head as Maven holds his hand out to me, I grab ahold of it, lacing our fingers together. That pain in my chest dissipating as my body warms with his touch. He rushes us into a cave thing Johnny mindlessly following.

#

Maven pulls himself up through an abandoned chimney, looking around before he hops out, he looks up at me as I pull myself up to rest my upper half on the side.

"He's not gonna see us, is he?" I ask, Mavin shakes his head as he holds his arms out, "No, jump down." 

I inhale and hold my breath as I pull myself all the way out and push myself off the side landing in his arms. He holds me for a few extra minutes as Johnny jumps down, he puts me down on my feet and turns around walking up the roof towards the barring. I lean into it placing my hands on the sharp edges.

"Holy shit," I breathe out looking into the vast sky, Johnny steps over the bars and looks around.

"Wow, would you look at the view from up here." He slips down the tiles slightly recovering like it never happened he continues his way down, "You can almost see Budapest." 

Mavin steps over it and holds a pale hand out to me, I take it and he helps me up and over the sharp bars. Placing a hand on my lower back he slowly helps me walk down the roof towards Johnny.

"Budapest? Is that near, Hawifi." He mispronounces Hawaii weirdly as he walks us a few feet behind Johnny who sits himself at the edge of the roof.

"Huh? Oh, you mean Hawaii. Yeah, that place is a knockout." Johnny corrects him, Mavin sits me down next to Johnny before he sits, dangling his legs off the edge of the roof.

"Me and Elysia just went to a music festival there. She got drunk off her rockers and almost slept with the—" Johnny starts to say and I slap a hand over Johnny's mouth as I laugh awkwardly, Mavin's eyes cast down at me with a different look in them almost as if he knew what Johnny was going to say. I shift awkwardly as I take the hand I had over Johnny's mouth away.

"A human music festival?" Mavin asks, his dark eyes staying on me as he continues the conversation with Johnny, I rub my thighs together as I move positions feeling hot all of the sudden with his unwavering gaze on me.

"Uh... I believe so." Johnny says,

"So did they all bite your toes and shove garlic bread in your face?" Mavin suddenly asked after hearing it was a human festival. I look over the roof before doing a double take at Maven as he looks at us with real concern, I let out an unsure laugh.

"No, well one dude took a bigger bite out of my energy bar than I expected, but I blame that on the heat." Johnny explained as he got up and balances on the edge with his arms out at his sides.

"That's amazing, you two have been everywhere." Mavin breathes out, Johnny shrugs.

"Well, you know, what's the alternative? Just staying at home, never exploring. Never seeing whats out there? I'm only gonna be 121 once, right?" Johnny asks turning to face us, I look down at my lap listening to Johnny. These few months was my first time ever really going this far from home, I was only going to hike around Yellowstone in Idaho for a breather.

I was in a pretty bad slump in my life, I was just broken up with, fired and thrown out all in one go. I lost my house to my ex and with no living space I lost my job, which was a pretty good one at that. I was a writer's assistant, paid well. I got my brothers apartment when he moved in with his fiancé. Good timing for all the bad shit, I guess.

I was only supposed to be gone for a few weeks, but then I met Johnny, and he took me to all these great places these past few months. It was almost like the universe finally decided to give me a break from all the terrible shit it had thrown in my face all at once, Johnny was the free spirit I needed as a friend in my life.

"Gotta live it." Johnny says shrugging, 

Mavin looks at him with a sad frown before looking away, "Yeah..." 

Johnny looks at him before the sunrise, "Oh, man. The sunrise from here must be amazing." 

I look down at the sound of sizzling to see Mavin's sneakers smoking, he pulls them up and out of the sun.

"Ow." He mutters with a grimace,

"Oh, I'm sorry. You've probably never even seen a sunrise, have you?" Johnny asks, feeling bad for the man, I place my hand on his knee with a sad smile.

"No not really, why?" He asks, Johnny grins and I watch with a warm smile as the sun hits my feet. Mavin gasps and grabs my calf pulling my leg up and out of the sun.

"Come on." Johnny motions for us to follow him as he runs off to a different Chimney. Mavin helps me up and rushes as the sun gets closer, I almost forgot I was dressed up as a vampire. We hid behind the chimney watching the gorgeous sunrise, a mix of pink, orange, and yellow swirling as the sun rises.

I look back at Mavin as he stares at the sunrise with wide eyes and a gaped mouth. His eyes reflecting the sun as he smiled. I look down and realize it's getting closer to his legs. I grab his arm as he stares lost in the sun. I pull him back away from the sun, Johnny following.

"This is the most incredible thing I've ever seen." Mavin murmurs, I let out a scream as Johnny breaks open the roof and grabs my arm in an attempt to not fall in, both of us falling in.

"Elysia?" I hear Mavin call down as Johnny slams into multiple floors. I slap into stone flooring as Johnny lands on Dracula's lap. I let out a wheezed groan as I turn around on my back being lifted up by my arms by a nude Frank, all that was covering him was a towel.

"Hi..." Johnny mutters smiling nervously.

"Hm, I guess Johnny and Elysia had second thoughts." Frank mutters,