45. I Belong To You

"I can't believe you even thought about going in the same outfit. Shame on you." Rohan pulled out a pink wool mini dress with the Gucci symbol printed all over it. "Have some tact, will you? You have to present yourself to him dressed in a relaxed, comfortable way."

'Who actually wears Gucci for comfort?' Jolyne complained in her heart. Then she realized just who she was standing before. What the hell, surely even Giorno was that kind of person too. She was already beginning to know his closet background.

Rohan stepped out to leave her privacy to change, or at least his version of privacy, which was to stand on the other side of the door, hurrying her along.

"Good, excellent. Let's leave your hair as it is too. We want to make an impression after all," he said, inspecting her as if he were a sergeant to her soldier before going into combat. "Now go. Go and kiss him, and if he suggests anything else, you tell him you have an unavoidable appointment tomorrow with me. And it's unavoidable because if I have to use my Stand so that you don't forget about it, I will."

Despite all his eccentricity, Jolyne had to admit that she felt a little more confident by the end of the dressing session because of his help. Stepping into the hallway, she asked a passing maid if the master of the house had returned and was told that he was in the office.

"He has instructed that no one is to disturb him. Unless, of course, it's Miss Jolyne," the maid added.

With that, Jolyne loitered in front of the office door for a few moments. The impression she got from what the maid told her was that he was expecting her. Was he so confident that she would come back to him? After all, she was only a child; a person her wouldn't possibly pass up the opportunity to date someone like him.

No, Giorno wasn't like that. He wasn't perfect; she knew his negative qualities all too well, for he himself had taken it upon himself to show them to her as a warning many times. She reminded herself that he was not like Romeo. If he had given her that opportunity, it was because he hoped she would come see him. Maybe the Don of Passione, the invincible man...was a little afraid of her. Or at least of how she made him feel, enough for him to not go after her himself.

Jolyne took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Hey, it's me," she said. "May I come in?"

"Sure. Come in," he replied right away.

His tone might pass unnoticed by others, but Jolyne noted the anxiousness even with the door in the way.

She opened the door and saw him halfway. It was obvious that he had gotten up in haste to open it for her. Now they stood face to face.

Giorno had not changed his clothes, but his shirt hung loosely over him and the corset rested on a nearby chair. His hair was still the usual fantasy of golden curls, but it looked less neat, perhaps from nervously running his hands through it many times. It could hardly be counted as disheveled, as he looked ready for a catwalk, but compared to how he looked that morning, she could tell he was much less composed in his appearance. Perhap he had also dived straight into work, not even stopping by his room for more comfortable clothes. And all because of her.

"Are you very busy?" she asked him, trying to start a conversation without quite knowing how.

"No more than usual," he replied, stretching his hand lightly towards her hair, but stopping short, as if unsure whether she would allow his touch. "I've never seen you with your hair down before. You look beautiful, as always."

Even though she felt strange with her hair down and all over the place, she liked his reaction. She let the compliment give her strength, because she was going to need all the courage she could muster after acting like an idiot that afternoon.