17. Sexy and I Know It

Ordinary people would find it hard to fall asleep after a tough battle, but Jolyne hit the sack as soon as she fell into bed. She was already snoring when Giorno came shortly after to check if she needed anything.

He carefully tiptoed his way back toward the room's exit, trying not to make a sound. But then she made a cute noise that caused him to turn his head, only to accidentally knock over one of the little boxes Trish had placed on the dresser. That's when he discovered that he could have walked in with a marching band and it still would not have woken her up.

He was relieved but also envious that she could get a good rest despite the bombells dropped on them from the previous night, especially about her friend.

The next morning, a few subordinates brought them coffee—real coffee, as Giorno had pointed out, not what she was used to in Florida—and some cakes to appease her anger about having to burn her clothes. She found it excessive to toss anything from Prada, but Giorno had told her that he was not planning to drive to Rome with something that was stained with her blood, the lingering smell faint but distinct. The cleaning crew would incinerate it anyway. Jolyne liked her pajama top, but the second cannoli made her forget her disgust.

There was much to discuss. Like how the enemy managed to circumvent their protocols and appear in front of the pair as if it was nothing. The enemy hadn't been able to do anything inside the palazzo, but they surely knew where it was. It was not difficult to obtain that piece of information for those who moved through criminal circles.

Giorno had promised Jolyne that she would be safe with him, yet she had had to help him by using her own blood as a means of distracting Rikiel. He remembered a similar situation in Twilight . He loved that series, but if Bella was half as determined as Jolyne, it would have been a 50 paged book.

Jolyne, flipping through the radio stations, stopped short when she came across a song that she not only knew but loved. She began singing along.

Girl look at that body

I-I-I work out

Jolyne pointed at Giorno several times, trying to get him to join, but it was no use. He glanced at her as he drove.

"Don't bother. I don't know this song."

"Really?" she asked, surprised. "I know you're serious and all, but aside from Twilight, you're like a jiji . Just how old are you? Now that I think about it, you've never told me your age."

"No one else told you? I'm 25, the oldest of my... brothers." He spoke the last part as if it cost him. "I don't know specific birth dates or anything like that, but from what I know, Donatello is about 24 and Rikiel around 23."

"I only asked about yours, but I guess thanks for the information about that psycho and Riki."

Although the cheerful music continued, Jolyne no longer bobbed her head to the beats or sang along. She had noticed Giorno's tenseness but couldn't make heads or tails of the reason for his strange behavior. Until he finally exploded.

"We left you no arms so that you wouldn't try to escape again, but after witnessing that whole fiasco with the pocket knife, perhaps it really was for the best." He unconsciously accelerated, the sports car responding easily to the commands. "Not only did you not care about your own safety, cutting yourself as if you were pepperoni, but you hadn't even considered that 'Riki' could have bitten you. Do I need to remind you that he is a half-vampire and that your blood drives him crazy?" He released a heavy sigh. "I could have bitten you too, and I... "