28. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing

Screams of the alleged attacker soon filled the room. Hearing all the commotion, Giorno barged in seconds later, only to find a terrified Shizuka in Jolyne's bed. Realizing she had hurt Shizuka's arm, Jolyne took advantage of his presence.

"I miss Josuke," said the girl as she was subjected to Gold Experience Requiem's healing, a much more painful experience than with Crazy Diamond. "But thanks, I guess."

"Sorry for scaring you," she said to Jolyne. "Your boyfriend is handsome, but not as much as my brother's boyfriend."

Some words ran over Giorno and Jolyne at the same time. "He's not my boyfriend", "Grazie," and "Wait, those two are official?".

"Don't talk at the same time!" Shizuka shouted at them, vanishing briefly. "I thought the two of you were— It seems like..." Catching Jolyne's threatening gaze, she dropped the topic. "Yes, he's officially been dating Rohan for a few months, but only our family and friends know. The press and fans can be overwhelming."

Jolyne pressed a hand to her heart. It was finally starting to settle down after the small scare. At least she confirmed her reflexes were on point; her training had also helped to really improve her reaction speed. She watched Shizuka poke at her newly healed skin gingerly.

"Sorry," Jolyne began. There was so much more she wanted to say to her little cousin, pouring off her chest. Then she remembered the extra person in the room. "Good evening, Giorno! Thanks for healing Shizuka."

She, along with Shizuka, waved a dramatic goodbye at him so that he would take it as an invitation to leave. He wasn't an idiot, so he bade farewell and headed off to his room.

"Why are you here?" Jolyne asked the little girl. "Don't you like the room they gave you?"

"The room's cute and comfy, but..." Shizuka hesitated. "We're still in a vampire's mansion. He's a handsome vampire, I'll give you that, but he went out with you tonight. Although, I guess I do feel a little relieved after having heard you shout at him in that big room."

She ignored Jolyne's look at that. "If you were afraid of him, you wouldn't have had the courage. Mom did that a lot with dad actually, yelling at him. I miss him, even if I'm not a real Joestar."

"What?" Jolyne's mouth gaped open. "What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing. Forget it." She was suddenly fascinated with her hands.

"Shizu..."

"I said forget it."

Just when Jolyne was about to pursue it, the other girl vanished. She was stunned for only a second before she quickly unwound her finger and shot her strings in the exit's direction. With some skilled meneuvering, the door slammed shut.

She wondered if the walls were sound proof. What a pain it would be if Giorno came back after hearing Shizuka's renewed shouts and after they'd so courteously kicked him out too.

With the help of her strings' vibration, she managed to locate the girl in no time at all. She hauled Shizuka onto the bed before getting in herself and covering them both with the blanket. She wrapped the invisible girl into a hug. "Don't talk like that. I don't know where this is all coming from, but it's a fact that you're one of Joseph Joestar's daughters. That means you're as much of a Joestar as I am, airhead. You can miss him all you want."

Shizuka's body became visible again. Her head was buried in Jolyne's chest, so she couldn't see the girl's expression, but she felt her thin arms squeeze back. For the moment, it was enough.

There was a short silence before Jolyne suddenly separated from her. "Wait a minute. I think I finally know why hide-and-seek with you was always impossible."