30. Butterfly Fly Away

Of course, they were going to bring her mom in Speedwagon vehicles along with her friends. That was good; they would be safer. Jolyne was also looking forward to seeing Josuke, but apparently, his arrival was going to be delayed a few more hours because Rohan had a meeting in Paris. They had decided it wasn't a good time for Rohan to be alone, although Jolyne suspected he hadn't had much to do with that decision. The fact that he hadn't used his Stand against all of them spoke volumes about the mangaka's feelings for Josuke.

Jolyne had dressed early that morning after spending some time looking through her closet. It felt weird to dress in designer clothes to greet her mom, but it was either that or the clothes chosen by Abbacchio, which would make her mom question whether she returned to her teenage years.

She didn't have to wait long to see Marena Regio Kujo's blond head emerge from a Speedwagon Foundation car. Her mom had only to look in her direction before she was running to her daughter. Jolyne rushed forward to meet her embrace. After the tight hug, Marena took a step away, as if to check that her daughter was still in one piece. It had been a few months since she had last seen her, yet it felt like an eternity.

"I was dying with worry, but you look so much better than the last time I saw you," her mom said with a laugh.

"I couldn't call you for security reasons. It's all been..."

"I know, I know." She squeezed her into a hug again. "But you're okay and that's what matters." She pulled away. More people had gotten out of the cars and were waiting their turn.

F.F. didn't hesitate to run over and hug Jolyne, almost losing her water bottle in the process. Ermes followed her, and between the three of them, they hugged each other so tightly that their sides ached afterwards. Emporio joined them when the hug no longer seemed like an attempt to strangle each other. Weather Report touched Jolyne's shoulder and told her he was glad to see her well.

"It looks like it's going to rain," Giorno told them, glancing up at the sky. He stood a little further away from the rest, having watched the whole proceeding. "If you would, please join us inside."

"I can make it not rain," Weather Report whispered too close to Jolyne's face. She almost jumped, having forgotten his habit of doing that.

"It would be too suspicious here. The weather isn't as fickle as in Florida," she said. Weather Report nodded and walked towards the mansion.

Giorno's unhappy gaze followed the man's retreating back. There was something he wanted to say, but he decided that it wasn't a very opportune time. Within the next few hours, he would quickly come to realize that Jolyne's friends were just an odd bunch with quirks no stranger than his friends' own. And they were family to her, just as his group was to him.

There was much they had to say to one another, so for a while, the concept of a structured conversation disappeared from everyone's vocabulary. Jotaro kept a watchful eye, standing in a corner of the living room, knowing that it wouldn't be long before the merry fuss died down.

"Hey, where is Anasui? I'm guessing his body is still weak because of what happened to his Stand," Jolyne said. "Was Rikiel able to deliver it to him without a hitch?"

Silence befell them and all eyes turned to Ermes, whom they had decided would explain everything.

"Rikiel did manage to find us, but..." Ermes cleared her throat. This wasn't as easy to do as she had imagined. "But they found us. Pucci came. He told Rikiel he was going to force him to tell them what he knew about you and Giorno, to figure out how to capture you... Anasui jumped on the priest without thinking, even though he still didn't have his disk back. Pucci was too fast..."