• 03

Jumping on and off moving trains was one thing the Dauntless were known to do, but doing it herself was something else entirely. As fast as Ripley could run, she ran with the crowd of old and new Dauntless along the tracks through the middle of the city, grabbing a metal bar on the passing train, then hoisting herself inside the car and dropping onto her back. She didn't worry about getting out again at that moment. Why should she?

In time, Jyn sat up straight, leaned back against the wall, and looked out to watch the passing scenery. Landscape, funny. More like what was left of Chicago. Once, many years ago, the city must have been really beautiful. But there was not much left of it, let alone to see. Decayed buildings, which could just hold on. But not to make everything bad, there were quite beautiful places but they had nothing to do with the real Chicago - the one from back then. These were simply newly added or added on.

A 'let's go' was heard, which made Ripley look at a group of guys and at first she didn't know what they were talking about, but that changed quickly when she saw the first ones jumping out. Of course, she wanted to join the Dauntless so she had to act like one.

"Jump," a blond boy slapped Ripley's shoulder with the back of his hand and nodded outside, "The first time is always WORSE than it really is. You can't even, not land there."

"Let me guess. You're a Dauntless," the blond nodded at Ripley's question, which still didn't make things any better, "For you, jumping out of moving trains is a habit but....."

"Don't talk, jump," a huge groan escaped Ripley at the young Dauntless's words, whereupon she followed up by taking a few steps back, running and jumping, "Shit."

Apart from the landing, the blond Dauntless was right. You really couldn't not land on the building unless you jumped off too late and had long since passed the building.

Still, it wasn't a proper landing that Ripley put into the day, not even remotely had been or approached. She might have landed on her feet, but she stumbled a few more meters before she grabbed the edge of the roof at the other end. Was this a test? For sure it was.

"Attention everyone," a short-haired man with tattoos and piercings called out over the crowd, standing on the edge of the roof further to Ripley's left, "I'm Eric and I'm one of the leaders of the Dauntless. You want to be part of the Dauntless? This is the way to get there."

The anabolic guy pointed straight down a bottomless hole, as Ripley was to discover, causing the entire group of old and new Dauntless to look at him uncomprehendingly.

"Yeah, no. We're supposed to jump down without knowing what's down there? Is clear," Ripley coughed, drawing Eric's attention directly to himself, who let his gaze wander through initiants to her, "What's that supposed to prove? That we're stupid people who listen without thinking to a guy who introduced himself as a leader a minute ago? Anyone can come along. Blind faith is the downfall of humanity. Dead people are known to be conducive to building a faction. Jumping off a train is one thing but...."

"Are you finally done?", Ripley was interrupted by Eric in a brusque tone, waving an index and middle finger at her, "We've found our first volunteer. If you want to be one of the Dauntless, you should finally learn to keep your mouth shut."

"Volunteer is the wrong word," Ripley retorted bitingly, climbing onto the ledge and looking down into the hole, "Is there water down there at least?"

No answer. What kind of bum was this anyway? Anyone could call themselves a leader and act like one. Whether that corresponded to the truth, however, might be another topic again.

The main thing was, this guy had nothing to do with the rest of the initiation phase. Nevertheless, the problem with this hole remained and would not go away. Well, Ripley thought, if you thought about it for a while and looked at it logically, there had to be something down there to catch the jump. It would be foolish not to. Dead men were of no use to any faction.