꧁Chapter 1꧂

Some people are so good at hiding their true feelings it's scary.

"Nakahara-kun, do you know what our newest hero course students are up to?"

Nakahara Chuuya, probably unable to decide whether the Boss had simply asked a rhetorical question or actually expected him to know the answer, remained silent. He looked straight at Mori Ougai, the Mafia Boss, who seemed to wait for an answer, a patient man.

After some consideration he replied with confidence, "They've just come back from their hero agency internships. I'm hoping they'll take a break from their shenanigans once summer break starts."

"The students, poor souls, might want to, but the faculty won't let them. They're planning a summer camp."

The mafia executive didn't reply, but his silence was equivalent to "I see". There was no way a subordinate could question their boss, much less disagree with whatever orders were about to come next, or ask how they got that info.

Mori continued, "Strategically speaking, it is a great opportunity for the League of Losers. They will prove themselves worthy of the title of 'villains' again, and they'll do that by..." He trailed off for a moment before continuing, "Well," he smiled, "it is hard to tell at this point, right, Nakahara-kun?"

The Boss' smile... he looked so sincere when he made that happy face, a rare reminder that he was human. But all his subordinates knew that he was just making it painfully obvious that he had a pretty good guess as to what would happen but did not wish to share it. Ah yes, the epitome of fun. And judging by his style of giving orders, this mission was not urgent.

"Now, Nakahara-kun, I want you to make sure that nothing happens to the kids while they're at their little camp."

"Understood, Boss."

"Especially the ones who captured everyone's attention during the sports festival." His tone was serious.

"Yes, boss."

"And take your apprentice with you."

Sir Nakahara probably bit his tongue not to protest. "If you say so, boss." Are you sure? would have been an extremely stupid answer.

"I do," he affirmed with a smile.

Mori dismissed Sir Nakahara and he left the room. I followed him after acknowledging the boss' presence with a deep nod – a slower nod, not a bow. I would never bow to a lowlife like him, no matter how brilliant or effective.

As I was following him through the hallway, I could hear Sir Nakahara cuss a bit under his breath before turning to looking at me. We both halted.

"You know you're a huge drag, right?"

I nodded. It was no secret my quirk, or "gift" as the mafia called it, was not very effective when it came to actual combat. I was gifted in the data gathering aspect: I could identify anyone's weakness: physically-, emotionally- and quirk-wise. It was useful if I knew who we were going to deal with, but usually that wasn't the case and I could not preform my analysis mid-battle. My powers were also a double-edged sword for me: after spending enough time in the mafia I learned everyone's weaknesses on all three levels, and judging by the threats, no one wanted me to reveal what I knew.

But as luck would have it, my real talent was being a member of U.A's class 1-B. It was also the quality that kept me alive and the reason Mori somewhat liked me. As for my "master" (whom I called "Sir"), I didn't mind him. Despite his bad temper and occasional lectures he always looked out for me in his own way. It seemed to me that Sir Nakahara hadn't realised that Mori chained us together just to slow (and calm, although it didn't always seem to work) Sir Nakahara down. He was always a bit too eager.

"Let's go conduct a plan over some soba."

He said that, but what he really meant was "Let me figure out a plan while I talk to you and you eat." I never talked if I didn't have to. It was safer. Words could get you in trouble in the mafia, especially someone in my position, but in general as well. And I didn't want to accidentally reveal any sensitive information and be assassinated. Sir Nakahara understood this, that's why he made his plans over dinner.

~

"So, you're going to the camp as well."

I nodded, mouth full of noodles. I could have answered that verbally, but my speaking would have distracted him as it was so rare, and I didn't want to be the reason he got distracted.

"I can't physically show up at the camp, so I'll need to train you to handle whatever situation that arises."

Which is impossible, I thought.

"Which is impossible," he said. "I'll remain in the shadows."

After a few seconds of frustrated thinking he exclaimed, "Ah, screw making a plan. We've never needed one anyway."

That is true: because Sir Nakahara was the impulsive (and powerful) type, there was never need for an actual plan. We just winged it.

Later that night Sir Nakahara gave me a ride home on his motorbike (as usual) and I returned to the HQ for training the following weeks.

One time I was combat training at the HQ, Mori asked to see me, and as quickly became evident to me, alone.