Bonus Chapter - Part IV

'I can't feel my legs. They've gone numb' Phelan sounds serious.

Pooja and he have been sitting cross-legged in the mantapa for more than thirty minutes.

'Get used to it' she tells him, even as the priest's voice drowns hers.

The shirtless priest, with a white throw shawl around him, and three prominent white vibuthi stripes on his forehead, is still chanting the mantras.

'Tell me the names of important elders in the family who have passed away' he says now. 'To seek their blessings'

Mrs. Jaya tells him the names of her's, and the PC's parents. He repeats each name, offering flowers to the decorated Kalasha.

And William Anderson also, his father' Pooja adds. The priest adds the name too.

'Why their names and all now?' Mrs. Vishalakshi grumbles.

'Vishu, I beg you. Don't tell her anything when people are there' Mrs. Jaya pulls her arm, sounding agonized. 'You had to see how she started speaking on the mike that day. Yappa! Now also she'll pakka do something like that. Little maana-maryaade what we have left will also go'!

Mrs. Vishalakshi subsides, frowning.

'Akka is like that only' Ishita tells passionately. 'She doesn't get angry quickly. But if she gets angry no, that's all, finish!'

Finished only, Mrs. Jaya thinks. What all dreams I had about her wedding! Everything is gone. What will she do there? How will she manage? Devre, you should only help her, please...

'You keep quiet now!' Ishita's mother snaps. 'Children should be like children. Go give akshate to everyone'

But Ishita doesn't want to encounter Henry-the-horrible again. So, someone else deployed for the job.

'Phalguna, Pooja' The priest looks at Phelan. 'Put these flowers on the kalasha'

Phelan stares at him, baffled. 'What?'

Pooja stifles a laugh.

'You are Phalguna, no?' the priest asks genuinely.

'It's Phelan' he says grimly.

The priest nods and hands him the flowers. Phelan and Pooja do the needful. A minute later, the priest looks at him again.

'Your name...' he scratches his head, furrowing his white eyebrows 'Philomena'

Phelan stares at him, incapable of speech.

Pooja bursts out laughing at this. Phelan narrows his eyes at her, looking cross.

'No, no, that is a church in Mysore' Ishita points out solemnly. 'St. Philomena's church'

Pooja giggles again, covering her mouth.

'Pud-Jaa' Phelan tries to keep a straight face. 'It's not even funny anymore!'

'I'm sorry. I'm sorry' she places her hand on his lap, still giggling.

'Will you please correct him?' he enquires mildly.

'Taatha, it's Phelan. Phelan' Pooja says slowly.

'Haan haan, got it. Got it' the priest nods. 'Phunnel?'

Pooja starts laughing even harder at this, hiding her face against Phelan's shoulder. The kids on stage also join in the laughter too, jumping.

'Oh, forget it' Phelan mutters. 'Whatever you want. Just get me married'

***

'Appa, look at me' Pooja tells her father for the third time.