26-Courtroom

'Auntie!' Pooja runs to Mrs. Clara as she enters the house, and hugs her tightly.

Phelan walks in behind his mother, looking apprehensive.

Everyone gets up. It's been a couple of hours since the PC yelled at everyone to shut up, and asked Pooja to call Phelan. They have all changed out of the grand sarees and suits, and have congregated in the living room again. The air is bland, and reeks of tension.

'This is Clara Auntie. Phelan's mother' she tells everyone.

'Namaskara. Please sit down' Mrs. Jaya tells her with restrained civility.

'This boy has different colour eyes no? He looks dangerous' she whispers to her sister, eyeing Phelan with a cold gaze.

'I hate people who don't have black eyes' Mrs. Saroja scrunched her face.

'God knows what is wrong with this girl!!' Mrs. Jaya groans.

Ishita who is just walking past them, hears it.

'Pooja Akka likes him' she says and runs away to the other end before they catch hold of her.

'Ishi come here!' Mrs. Jaya snaps. 'Children these days, too much, yappa! I should tell her mother'

Pooja, meanwhile, looks at Phelan, who looks back at her with those warm eyes.

'Pooja, you come and stand here' Mrs. Jaya calls out immediately.

Phelan slips his hands into hers, looking determined. Pooja's palm is warm and clammy from all the stress. His hand, however, is reassuringly cool, and comforting.

'Leave her hand' Mrs. Jaya says sternly.

'No' Phelan replies cooly.

'Pooja..' Her mother warns.

Pooja doesn't make any attempt to move from the place. She glances at her mother, with a hint of fear.

'This girl..'

'Aiyyo, let it be, Jaya. What if he kidnaps her also?' Mrs. Saroja tells her.

'What?' Phelan clenches his jaw.

'I'm sorry, what??' Mrs. Clara looks puzzled.

'Saru!' Pooja snaps indignantly. 'Paartha told you it isn't the meaning, right?'

'But is what this fellow wrote in the letter' Mrs. Saroja argues, looking at everyone for backup.

'No, it's not!' Paartha throws up his hands.

Pooja screws her eyes shut, and groans inwardly.

'You showed them the letter?!' Phelan turns to Pooja indignantly.

Mrs. Jaya glares at him. 'We are her parents. Of course she wi-'

'Shhhh!' The PC snarls. 'That's enough! No one speaks now'

Everyone falls silent.

'Okay, hello everyone' he clears his throat. 'Namaskara ma'am' he folds his hands at Mrs. Clara. She smiles back politely.

'Everyone knows what happened in the wedding hall. Pooja announced that she and Phelan love each other'

Mrs. Clara nods. 'I wanted to watch that' she mutters to herself.

Ishita hears it.

'Aunty, I have recorded everything. I'll show it to you later!' she bends over the sofa.

'Really?!' Mrs. Clara beams. 'That's great. Can't wait, Dear!'

Ishita claps silently. I am so cool, she thinks gleefully.