25-Unparalleled

'That's all. It's gone. Everything is gone. Gone!' Mrs. Jaya thunders. 'How dare you Pooja!?'

'She spoiled our family's reputation, maana, maryaade, everything!' Mrs. Saroja sobs.

Things after Pooja's big announcement had happened in a flash. As she said it is "a yes", the under-thirty population in the crowd had cheered, whistled, and clapped. The kids, though only a little aware of what was happening, had been excited by all the cheering, and started hopping around, screaming. Their parents had to hush them.

Mrs. Jaya pulled Pooja by her arm, got her off the stage and the family exited the marriage hall without looking back. Phelan and Pooja hadn't got a chance to speak a word.

'I don't know what to do with this girl!' Mrs. Jaya continues now. 'Sending her to San Jose was a big mistake. Chee!'

The family is lodged in the living room. The PC sits on the couch at the far end, looking stoic. Mrs. Jaya and Mrs. Saroja sit on the dining table chairs at the other end. Paartha and Pooja are on the sofa, and Ishita sits on the armrest next to her sister. Everyone is still in their grand clothes. Pooja wants to change now, more than anything else.

For some reason, Ishita is having a whale of a time. 

'I don't have a daughter. I always thought...it's okay, she is like my daughter too' Mrs. Saroja shakes her head. 'So much I loved her'

Pooja stares at her.

'I'm still the same Saru. Don't you like me anymore? Really?' Her voice shakes a little. 'How does me loving Phelan change who I am?'

'This is not love, this is..this is just...' Mrs. Jaya looks around, as though she is searching for something to throw or break.

'What?' Pooja asks in a tight voice.

'This is just her age speaking. They don't understand anything at this age' Mrs. Saroja pats her sister's arm reassuringly.

'I thought she will never do such things. She never did boyfriend drama before' her sister wails.

'I know, I know' Mrs. Saroja nods. 'It is the age'

Pooja feels sick in her head. She had gotten on the stage and poured out everything in her heart. Later, she had panicked. It was like she couldn't believe what she had just done. What did I do? What will they do now?

After reaching home, gathering more courage, she spoke again. Without a break. Everything from the beginning. How she met Phelan, how they grew fond of each other, and how they knew it was love. The entire story, excluding the kissing bits.

She also showed them the famous letter written by Phelan, lest they wouldn't even listen to her anymore, given the hyperventilation of the two ladies. The PC had read it first, and silently passed it to the ladies, who pored over it with great interest.

'Look at the way he has written! "I had many girlfriends" anthe. And trying to justify it later' Mrs. Jaya now shakes the paper violently. 'Shameless, mannerless, cultureless people!'

'Maa! He has clearly written that he is not justifying it. He is just telling the truth' Pooja throws up her hands.

'Yes! He is so caring atte! And so sweet!' Ishita says dreamily. 'And soooo handsome'

Mrs. Jaya gasps at this. 'Handsome it seems! Shut your mouth! Kids should be like kids'

Ishita mutters under her breath that she isn't a kid, and that she cast her vote in the elections seven months back.

'He has written "I kind of stole my friend's girlfriend" here' Mrs. Saroja points out, adjusting her reading glasses. 'Did he kidnap her or what?'

'No that's not what it is' Paartha laughs. 'It's a fancy way of saying he ch-'