together: heros

“It’s Kacchan.” Izuku breathed, watching the teen get out of the parked car and frantically begin looking around, as if searching the park for someone. “And Mitsuki. And Masaru.” He whispered, tears filling his eyes yet refusing to fall down. 

Memories of getting burned and yelled at filled his mind. But memories of reading at the library together and having family game nights with both families also came up from his memories. The hateful words and oddly protective stance the blonde took when near Izuku made the teen know that his friend cared. Deep down, underneath his hardened exterior, where he had begun to believe everything was infallible if he came up with the plans. That being said, memories of being punched and bullied were still more recent and ever prominent in his mind. 

“Are you sure you want to do this? If it’s too much, we can reschedule.” Aizawa spoke up from beside the teen, hand squeezing the other’s. 

But the searching red gaze of someone who has been looking for someone they lost--someone who was once important to him--made Izuku feel like his absence was missed, even if only somewhat. 

“I think I’m fine.” He whispered back, breathing in deeply to calm his nerves. 

Aizawa had said that Bakugo was not like he used to be--as in he did not bully any students anymore and was actually the one who had been looking for Izuku for over a month. The information had initially made Izuku cry, remembering when Chisaki had a meeting with the League of Villains and forced Izuku to go along. He had hoped to strike fear into the teen by showing him what other villain organizations were like, hoping to keep the teen from trying to run away. But that day, Chiasaki and Shigaraki had been speaking calmly, until the latter got on a tangent about kidnapping a boy named Katsuki Bakugou. Izuku’s interest was piqued and he later begged Chisaki to not aid in the capture and torture. But his qualms only added to the fire in Chisaki’s eyes and the man forced Izuku to watch his childhood friend be injured and drugged up when captured a few weeks later. And upon an attempt at intervention, a memory hallucigen was given to his childhood friend, altering his mind by changing memories and inducing a dream-like quality over his perception of time. The drug was primarily used for keeping prisoner’s lucid and talkative in Chisaki’s base. And it broke Izuku to know that all this time since the kidnapping, Kacchan had been believing that they had made up and were becoming heroes together. 

He had to admit, blatant, immediate forgiveness gave Izuku a sour taste. He didn't think he could easily trust the blonde, but he also knew that he could never completely abandon him either. Afterall they had practically spent their whole lives together. And they were now the last thing Izuku had from his old life.

Suddenly, Bakugo and Izuku’s eyes met and the blonde began running towards the teen. As he got closer, Izuku could see the shiny quality and puffy cheeks of Kacchan’s face. He had been crying. A tear fell from Izuku’s eyes as he slowly got up, mind in a haze. All he wanted to do at that moment was hug Kacchan. Make sure Kacchan was okay and true and real. 

Because after being forced away from his home and knowing of his mother’s death and knowing of his life being published and feeling as if he was just a part of a planned out hoax where he had to relive his life’s worst memories, Izuku often felt like an imposter in his own skin. 

But seeing Kacchan and Mitsuki and Masaru sprinting towards him with big smiles and relief-filled eyes, he felt like his old life was coming to greet him on the cusp of his better one. 

He brought his arms out and braced for accepting the hug. “Careful!” yelled out Aizawa, but his concern fell on deaf ears as Kacchan and Deku rammed into one another, arms gripping onto the other as if both trying to figure out if they were real. 

“Deku.” Bakugo spoke up hoarsely, the nickname coming up before anything else. 

“Kacchan.” Izuku wailed, hiccuping as he gripped his childhood friend’s shirt ever tighter. He felt the torment of not knowing if Bakugo escaped the League of Villains as they drugged him. He felt relieved in knowing Bakugo was okay now. At least physically, and the beginnings of mentally.

The old Bakugo would have never allowed Izuku to hug him like this. He would have never allowed Midoriya to see him affectionate or teary or emotional. Izuku's metal hand grasped the blonde's shirt firmer, anchoring himself on the fabric.

“Izuku.” Bakugo whispered, returning the hug through tears and relief. “I’m sorry, Izuku. I’m so sorry.” He mumbled, digging his head in Midoriya’s shoulder as if to ground himself. 

Unable to forgive the blonde just quite yet for all the torment and abuse, Izuku just sobbed, enjoying the hug from a childhood that seemed so far away. He felt almost like a different person yet the same child who had been so excited to be a hero all in one. It was a confusing emotion but he found himself basking in the nostalgia. 

Izuku could hear the three adults talking from a bit away, their voices ringing out softly being swept towards him by a smooth breeze. He sniffed, pulling away from the hug just enough to wipe his eyes on his sleeve before feeling the child inside of him look at the familiar blonde and have his dreams all snap into place once again. 

Through tear-stained cheeks, blotchy skin and a smiling face that was less gaunt than before, Izuku looked at Kacchan with happiness radiating off his soul through the bandages of invisible old wounds. “We’re gonna be heroes together, Kacchan.” He cheerfully said, laughing through overwhelming nostalgia. 

A couple tears fell down Bakugo’s cheeks as he pulled in the green-haired teen for another hug.