persuing: izuku's dream

It has now been almost five months since the Overhaul mission. Three months since Eri and Izuku were reunited and inseparable. 

Chiskai had attempted to mold their minds into playing the role of a family, where Chisaki was the older brother looking out for his siblings, Izuku and Eri. But he had kept them separate and often threatened to hurt one to get the other to do what he wanted. They hadn't seen each other often, but when they did, they basked in each other’s company, speaking of possible escapes. That was, until Eri had been able to run away earlier that year. After she was brought back she was punished deeply and forced to stay on the upper levels, far away from where Chisaki kept his favorite quirkless gem. Since then, Chisaki became easily frustrated at the teen and his questions, silencing the boy by the only means he knew possible. Emotional manipulation and the breakdown of the mind further than before Izuku’s kidnapping. 

Izuku didn’t talk about the experience in detail, but Aizawa knew it must have been a very traumatic experience for both kids. But their bond and closeness was heartbreakingly beautiful in a somber way. 

Aizawa had started a regime to get the two kids healthier by slowly having them eat three healthy meals a day and slowly starting up a training schedule. Especially since Izuku had to learn how to maneuver with his metal foot and hand. But the kid was getting the hang of it very swiftly and Aizawa loved watching the kid come to life as he got stronger. 

The once silent, dead-eyed and sickly teen now had a certain glow to his skin and air of happiness surrounding him. And there were many ups and downs, of course. A mindset of being beaten down repeatedly cannot just overcome the feeling of being lied to, abandoned or alone. But progress was being made, and the trust between all three was becoming immeasurably large. Aizawa smiled as he watched the teen and kid running around the back yard, tossing a ball back and forth. But he still had one more thing to bring up. 

A few days later, when Eri had decided she wanted to have a playdate with Mirio in the other room, Aizawa sat down with the Midoriya. “So, Izuku,” He started speaking, pulling his bowl of fruits closer to his person. “What do you think of joining UA’s hero course?” He asked. 

Gaping, the teen stared wide eyed and slack jawed at the hero before him. A mix of awe and mistrust washed over him, the aspect of being asked seemed like a faux hope and prank. And Izuku brought himself back down to earth, not believing the hero before him. He squinted his eyes and looked intently at Aizawa, as if attempting to read him. 

Aizawa took that as a sign to continue. “More like a teacher’s assistant.” He amended. “And you would have classes with Nezu during regular studies to catch up on what you may have missed. But you’d have training with my class and a few other periods where you’d study under me. But when your classes are all caught up, Nezu said he would allow you into the full-time hero course classes. And if you feel comfortable, you can get your heroic license with them.” He finished, eating a piece of cantaloupe with his fork. 

He pulled an envelope from his back pocket, placing it gently on the table in front of the teenager. “Nezu’s invited you personally to UA. He felt your books showed great adversity and proved how much of a beautiful hero you’d make. Said he'd love to meet you in person.” He trailed off, watching tears drop down on the table as shaky hands grasped the letter and held it to his chest. Izuku’s shoulders trembled as he bit his lips, trying to keep from breaking down as the sight of the official stamps and signatures alerted him to reality. 

It was as if his shattered childhood dream was being glued back together in front of his eyes. Like the broken mirror was being repaired. His younger self had lost everything, but now his older self was beginning to see excitement again. He sniffed even as Aizawa pulled him closer, holding the teen in a comforting embrace. He began petting Izuku’s head, running his fingers through the mass of curls. 

Moments passed where Izuku slowly began calming down. Aizawa spoke up softly. 

“A couple people want to see you. And I believe it would be wise to do so before you start attending classes, however I understand if you want to hold off until later, just make sure to keep a healthy mindset. They’ve changed a lot since you last saw them.”

Stiffly, Izuku sniffed, holding back a fresh round of tears. “Who?” He asked, voice broken as he leaned into Aizawa’s hug. 

“The Bakuugo’s.” Aizawa said softly.