Chapter Thirty-Four

Začať od začiatku

A hiss was pulled from my lips at the pain that rushed through my hand, the vine tightening and slowly creeping up my arm.

"Kaden?!" Adam's worried voice instantly filled my head.

"I'm okay." I tried to reassure him, through clenched teeth.

"Then why does my wrist feel like it's breaking?"

"Think I just pissed off a tree."

"Release me," I ordered. Nothing.

"A tree?"

I summoned my sword and swung at the vine that was creeping even further up my arm.

"Sorry, baby. Bear with me a moment."

I felt awful that this was hurting him too, he didn't deserve this.

"Neither do you. I'd rather we go through this together, than you, alone."

My sword hit the vine again, using my own force this time and the vine broke, falling against the tree.

"Thank you, Adam."

I could see more vines creeping up on me from the corner of my eye. My sword swung at the branch next, but it dug further into my hand, drawing blood. I tried to break it, but it wasn't moving.

Persevere.

"Sorry, love," I apologised. My feet kicked against the tree, creating just a little bit of space so I was now hovering in the air, my hand gripping the fruit tightly. With my feet pressing firmly against the trunk of the tree, I pushed hard.

Using my power to add force and let gravity do the rest of the work. The branch was forced from my hand, painfully, and I began to fall.

I caught myself easily, dodging the branches and vines that tried to stop me, and landed safely enough away that I was out of reach.

"When you said the fruit was hard to get, I didn't think you would be fighting a tree," Adam said.

I laughed. "I got it." I looked down at the fruit in my hand, an offering of peace.

The vines and branches had returned to their usual place, completely unmoving as if they didn't just attack me a moment ago.

It was safe now, and so I walked around to the other side of the tree, my gaze finding the two boys who were clearly too busy arguing to have made any progress with the fruit.

"If any physical fighting breaks out, you will both be locked in the cells overnight, I will return shortly, I hope to see some progress," I told them, instantly cutting off their argument as they stared down at me with wide eyes, noticing the fruit in my hand.

I stopped by Keiron's office first, but he wasn't there.

"Keiron."

"Sir?" His response was instant.

"Could I bother you to bandage my hand?" I didn't like to call for Keiron when he was off duty, but I knew he was on-call right now and going into the city would attract too much attention.

"Of course, sir."

A moment later, Keiron stepped through a portal into his office, a dark blush on his cheeks. He quickly got to collecting the stuff he needed before moving towards me and having me take a seat.

"I apologise for disturbing you, I did not want to go into the city like this."

"It's not a problem." Kieron shook his head, cleaning the blood from my hand that had begun dripping down my wrist. "I'm happy to be of assistance."