Chapter Six

-Kaden's POV-

The next day went fairly normal for the most part, I was late to my first class as usual, but everything was still going smoothly in Galtolga so I had nothing to worry about, and I fully trusted my guards to handle anything that arose.

I sat at my desk, spacing out as I stared out the window, Adrian to my right and Gabriel to the right of him, Tom stood at the front of the classroom explaining something that I wasn't listening to, and it didn't take him long to realise that.

"Kaden," he called my name, immediately snapping me out of my daze as my eyes moved away from the window and locked with his.

"Sir?" I asked, not bothering to acknowledge the fact that I'd been caught spacing out...again.

"What is love?" He asked to my surprise, and my eyebrows shot up as I glanced around in confusion, trying to gain as much information as I could, but I was interrupted as Adrian cut in.

"Baby, don't hurt me." He gained a chuckle from the class as Tom rolled his eyes.

"Sorry?" I asked, not really knowing what it was he was asking of me.

"Tell me, in your own words, to you, what is love?" He asked again, leaning back against his desk, his arms crossed as he awaited my answer.

Fuck.

I was usually pretty good at blagging it when I was called out in class, but what kind of question was that? What is love? How would I know?

"Love is a set of emotions and behaviours characterized by intimacy, passion, and commitment," I answered almost robotically.

Tom nodded with a small smile.

"Well, you're not wrong, but I meant more from a personal sense, what does love mean to you personally?"

I really didn't know how to answer that.

What do I know of love? Well, I'd never been in love before, so I knew nothing about that from a personal sense, I had the love of my friends, the love of my people, my parents had both died quiet young, and it was still something I didn't like to talk about.

"Love is..." I hesitated, trying not to be distracted by Adrian who smirked at me. "Complicated." I swallowed down, cursing myself for not paying attention, and getting myself in this situation.

"Ooo, I know!" Adrian grinned, raising his hand and waving it around like an excitable child.

"Nobody wants to hear you talk about Zach for ten minutes straight, Adrian," Tom sighed, rubbing at his temples.

"Pfft, who doesn't want to hear about my baby?" He sighed dreamily, and there was no stopping my eye roll, no matter how hard I tried.

"It's kind of a hard question to answer if you've never been in love before," I heard Adam say from the back of the room.

Tom nodded, thinking this true.

"Well, there are different forms of love, not just from lovers but from friends and family, love comes in many forms, it doesn't have to be romantic," Tom explained, and I was just happy to have the attention away from me.

"You've never been in love before?" Spoke too soon, the girl in front of me had turned around, and was now looking at me with wide eyes.

I simply shook my head, not wanting to have this conversation, but before it could drop, the girl to her right had also turned around to face me.

"You know, maybe you could if you gave somebody the chance," she fluttered her eyelashes, but what I assume was meant to be flirting, sounded more like an attack.