Bonus Chapter - Part I

Start from the beginning

'Oh yes, Akka! See, I'm singing along, Uff....mere dil mein thodi khaali si jagah thi...humko na khabar kab kaise aaya voh.....dil se khus-phus kya farmaya voh' Ishita offers her an airpod.

'Okay okay fine, keep it to yourself' Pooja waves her hand. 'And I don't need this fan. Switch it off' 

'Fine' Ishita says. 'But I'm not going away, okay? Hah!'

Pooja ignores her.

'Thank God it is not sunny' she rolls her eyes. 'Otherwise, they would be holding an umbrella above my head all the time'

But Phelan isn't listening. 'Hey, can we...you know...go for a ride on your scooter or something? Oh, you don't have it here, right? Could we arrange for one?'

Pooja looks at him unbelievingly.

'No, we are not supposed go out anywhere after arasina shastra' she shakes her head.

He looks mystified.

'The turmeric paste ritual..two days back? Remember?' She says each word slowly, and deliberately.

'Oh yea, of course' Phelan remembers. They had smeared turmeric paste all over him, and then splashed him with mugs of water, with people merrily clicking photos of the entire process. Mrs. Clara had watched the proceedings with equal amounts of fun and shock.

'And we have so many people around us even when we are just standing and talking. Do you really think we can manage to go out alone?' Pooja asks.

Phelan shakes his head in defeat, looking at the swarm of kids. One of them now walks up to Ishita.

'Ishita Akka, I have to do susu' the little girl announces.

'Okay, go do' Ishita shrugs.

'Amma is busy. I don't know to remove this skirt'

'But I have to stay with Poo-'

'Ishi, paapa she is asking' Pooja tells gently. 'Take her'

'But...'

Pooja clucks her tongue impatiently.

'Okay! But Akka, I have orders. Please don't do anyth-'

'Aiee! Enough. Will you just go now!?' Pooja orders. 

Ishita frowns, holds the little girl's hand, and walks away.

Pooja turns to Phelan and looks into his denim-blue eyes. 

Her eyes are lit, like...like Christmas candles, he can't help thinking.

'We are getting married tomorrow' she whispers, taking his hand in hers.

'I know' Phelan's voice is velvet-soft, and his eyes are glowing.

Pooja lets out a deep, shaky breath. 'I'm nervous. And scared'

He gently squeezes her hand.

'Me too' he says, looking intently into her kajal-lined eyes.

Pooja blinks back sudden tears and smiles. Phelan draws her closer. She doesn't protest. He runs his hand on her soft rosy cheek.

And then, she draws back abruptly.

'What?' he asks, confused.

'Your brother is here' she points.

Phelan turns around to see Henry as he walks up to them, with a shoulder pack, and a light brown duffel bag. He is not looking his best with all the disheveled hair and crumpled T-shirt.