'There have been a lot of discussions here since then. I have listened to everyone. A lot. Now it's time I decide what exactly has to be done'

Pooja is sure that her heart is in her throat. Phelan squeezes her hand even as he swallows lightly. This is all ridiculous, he feels. But it's important for Pooja, he tells himself. So just stay calm and listen.

'Before that, I need to show you something' The PC says and pulls out a folded piece of paper from his pocket.

'This...' he unfolds it slowly, and clears his throat.

'Oh my god!' Pooja whispers automatically, clutching Phelan's arm with her other hand. 'That is the letter I wrote in seventh standard!'

'What? The one asking him to come home? You said he never received it, right?'

'That's what I'd thought' Pooja looks horrified. 'God, he has read it!'

'What is that?' Mrs. Jaya frowns.

'This is a letter' The PC holds it tenderly. 'Which Pooja wrote to me...twelve years back'

Everyone looks at her. She just holds Phelan's hand tighter, and avoids eye contact.

'She asks me to come home and spend time with family. And reminding me that I have a home'

Silence.

'I didn't reply to this letter because...I didn't gather enough courage for that'

Silence again. The PC looks at her. Pooja doesn't know what her reaction should be. She just stands still, listening intently.

'When Pooja was born, I was the happiest....that I had a daughter' The PC smiles. 'For the first four years, she would never leave me, you know. She would always be on my lap whenever I was home'

Pooja's lips quiver. Mrs. Jaya swallows at the distant thoughts.

'And then..' he sighs deeply. 'Things started to change'

'She started going to school. And slowly realized that this wasn't how it worked in her friends' homes. That their fathers came home in the evening, every day. Spent time with them, helped them with homework, went to movies on the weekends, and whatnot'

Pooja's eyes well up and everything seems blurry around her. She remembers those days waiting by the window gor her father's jeep to appear. Sometimes, she would doze off there, until her mother put her to bed.

'Not even once my child ask me for any of those expensive gifts. Videos games, grand clothes, bicycle....nothing. She didn't throw tantrums about wanting expensive dresses, vehicles, jewels...not even once'

Silence.

'All she would ask was for me to be there...on her birthday, in her PTMs, during her annual day dance performances, prize distribution...that was all she asked'

'So I bought her all those things anyway, hoping that'll make up for my absence. But I could never give her what she really asked for. And I regret that till date. I'm sorry putta'

No, no Appa, Pooja wants to say, but she doesn't find her voice. Instead, tears flow down her cheeks. Phelan gently squeezes her hand. Mrs. Jaya's eyes get moist too, but she restrains.

'Now, this is the first time she is asking for something else. That she wants to marry him' he gestures toward Phelan.

Silence.

'If I deny even that, I wouldn't forgive myself...ever. What kind of a father would I even be?'

'What?' Mrs. Jaya starts with a sudden jerk.