And Artie hated her for it.

But the more this guy looked at me, I knew it wasn't solely attraction. I had seen his dark hazel eyes somewhere. And then it hit me.

Last night at the museum.

He was the guy pretending to fluff the floral arrangements watching me and Rafael when we arrived. I hadn't thought too much of it then, but now after what happened with Gabe's body, it seemed a little suspicious.

"I'm uh, actually an old friend of Maya's," I answered carefully. "I heard she was still around?"

His thick eyebrows knitted as he looked between me and Desirae again. "Who'd you hear that from?"

"Cora Chapman mentioned her last night," I replied. "Said Maya took over the nursery here." He rubbed at his thick black stubble, muttering some choice words. I stole a quick glance at Desirae who seemed just as confused as me. "We uh, we all sat for Rafael's sister, Artemisia, several years ago. Modeled, I mean. For her paintings."

"Unfortunately, you heard wrong. Maya's dead. Has been for five years now."

His words hit me like a blow to the stomach. "What? No, she..." It was impossible. Artie would've at least told me that. Our relationship was complicated, but she wasn't that coldhearted to keep her death from me. Then again... My mouth went dry and I could feel tears starting to fill my eyes. "Sorry, I-" Desirae pulled me closer, rubbing my back. I sunk into the side of her, more choked up than I wanted to be. "What happened?"

"Wow, I kinda thought you'd be glad." His agitation flipped to a strange bemusement as his thick brows quirked.

"Glad?"

He ran his hand over his beard with a chuckle and my unexpected grief began to grow to anger. After the last twenty-four hours, I was in no mood to be taking anyone's shit. I was about to knock the handsome grin off his face when I saw it.

"It's me, you goober."

My breath caught in my chest as I studied his sharp jawline, the hardened slope of his nose, his hazel eyes. I couldn't believe it.

I pulled away from Desirae and shoved him hard in the shoulder before wrapping my arms around his neck. The tightness in my chest immediately released as I felt the warmth of his laugh against my ear, his fingers firm around my hips. "Oh my god," I laughed through even more tears, stepping back to take him all in. My hands slid down the thick corded muscles of his arms. "You look amazing, you fucking jerk."

"I thought that was you last night, slinking around the museum's shadows. Can't believe they even let you in," he teased, looking me over. He held my gaze briefly before turning to Desirae, dropping his hands from my waist. "Hi there, I'm Miles," he introduced himself, holding out his hand to her. "He/him in public, they/them with friends."

"Sorry, right," I laughed, shaking off the shock. "This is Desirae, my uh-"

"Fiancée." Desirae took their hand with a smile. "She/her."

"Fiancée?" Miles shot me a bewildered look and I tried to hide my own with a forced smile and a nod. Desirae refused to meet my eyes. I had no idea where she was going with this, but there was no chance Miles would buy it. They knew I wasn't the marrying type.

"Fiancée," I echoed with emphasis, trying to convince myself too.

Their eyes shifted from her to me then down to the huge sparkling diamond ring on Desirae's finger that I was just now noticing for the first time. Apparently, I was right last night about her rocking a nice rock. She must have slipped it on while we were driving. From what I could tell, the wedding band was still on her chain, tucked into her dress.