C6: Magic

Chapter6-Magic

"We wouldn't ask you if it wasn't important." T said, sitting back down in her seat.

"What if he tries to kill me? What if he does kill me?" I said. I was starting to get really, really freaked out. Not that I hadn't been freaked out from the start.

"I won't let him hurt you." Isaac said calmly.

"You said it yourself that he can hide himself. What if he does that to me and then kills me?"

"We'd know if you were dead, Cora." T said, rolling her eyes.

"Okay. But that doesn't help me any. I don't want to die period."

"You aren't going to die, Cora." Isaac said, getting to his feet.

"Throw yourself in danger and say that to yourself. See if you believe it." I mumbled, starting to get mad. Sacrificing yourself was one thing. But sacrificing someone else, a human was insane. Mitchell already wanted me dead. The second he saw me, he'd kill me and the whole plan would have been for nothing. No way did I want to die because of them.

"Cora, we're not trying to get you killed." T said softly, noticing my anger. "Mitchell's killed too many people to get away with it. We have to kill him."

When she said that she had to kill her brother, it sort of put things into perspective a little. I didn't think I could ever kill Carter if something like this happened. But the fact that T could meant she wasn't on his side.

I swallowed hard. "Fine. But if I do die, I'm perfectly fine with Carter killing both of you."

Liquid magic was disgusting, let me tell you. It tasted bitter and sour and salty all at the same time. It was like the worst thing you've ever tasted times five.

"Okay, if this doesn't kill me, you can let me go." I said, my nose scrunched up.

Isaac laughed. "Hard to believe Mitchell would take more than one of those, huh?"

I nodded. "He must really be crazy."

He sat down beside me on the couch, his wings wrapping around his torso. "I'm sorry if it seems like we're forcing you to do this."

"Someone has to do it."

"Cora-"

"Isaac, it's okay. Someone has to do it."

"I agree that someone should. But you don't want to."

I shrugged. "I don't. But you guys need my help."

He smiled. "I owe you."

I laughed. "You really, really do."

T came back into the room, biting her fingernail. She looked nervous. Or worried.

"Okay, no, you are not allowed to freak out." I said, getting to my feet.

She shook her head. "It's not about that. I'm trying to figure out why Mitchell would be hiding himself. How could he know we were looking for him?"

"What if he didn't? I mean, isn't it possible that he has multiple people looking for him and his hiding from someone other than us?"

"I don't know. But it's driving me crazy."

"Looks like it." I mumbled.

She glared at me. "Do you wanna help us or die right now?"

"What's the plan?" I said, changing the subject.

"You have to go back to your house and act like you left us. Mitchell needs to know that you aren't tied to us any longer or else he will just kill you when he finds you." Isaac said.

I nodded. "That sounds easy enough."

"He's not stupid, Cora." T said. "If you slip up, he'll know and he'll kill you."

I nodded again, a little more nervous this time. It sounded easy but putting it into play wouldn't be easy. Especially going up against Mitchell.

She hugged me, surprising me. "Stay safe."

"I'll try my best."

"Try harder." She pulled back and handed over a locket. "There's a spell in this that will let us know where you are. We won't know anything other than that. If you die, the locket will crumble into pieces so Mitchell can't trace it back to us."

With a shaking hand, I took it from her and put it on.

Isaac hugged me, then, his wings wrapping around me like a cocoon. He didn't say anything. Because what else was there to say?

When he finally let me go, I smiled nervously at him. "Don't forget, you owe me."

He smiled back. "I won't."

Waiting for Mitchell to come and find me seemed to take forever. It wasn't just hours I had to wait, it was weeks. I kept wanting to call T or Isaac or even Carter but I knew I wasn't allowed to. I had to make Mitchell think I'd ditched them.

Finally, he showed up one night while I was sleeping. The sun was barely starting to come up when I first saw him standing beside my bed, his body shielding the sun from view.

"I never thought they'd leave you alone." He said, a creepy smile on his face. His eyes were pure black, no color in them like the first time I saw him.

I brushed my messy hair from my face. "I left them."

His eyes widened. "You're kidding."

"Nope." I sat up and tried sounding a little bit less scared than I really was. "What are you doing here?"

"I noticed that you weren't being protected by any magic and wanted to check it out for myself."

"And?"

"And it's true. Though I don't know why. Wouldn't Isaac want to keep you out of my grasp?"

I shrugged. "We had a fight and I left. I haven't been back since."

He laughed. "I never thought that'd happen."

"Yeah, well, it did."

He sat down on my bed, which freaked me out, and brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. "I can keep you safe, Cora."

"You remembered my name."

He smiled. "How could I forget?"

I smiled back, though it was forced, and took his hand in mine. "Can we go somewhere and talk?"

"Here isn't good enough?"

"Some place private. My mom should be waking up soon."

He nodded. "Will my apartment do?"

I nodded. "It's perfect."

-

I'm sorry if this looks weird. I don't know how to fix it...