Slightly less smol child: Come play with us Mister!

They ran towards the center of town, likely the starting point.

Kai looked at me, almost chagrined.

Smol child: You don't have to play if you don't want to Mister…

The boy looked at the ground. Kai looked a little sad. He knelt down, and put a hand on his shoulder.

Kai: Go catch up to your friends. I'll be there in a second.

The boy's face lit up and he ran after his friends.

Kai: Will you accompany me to the square madame?

He offered his arm again.

Pyra: Yes. I believe I will.

We walked to the center of town. Upon arrival the kids cheered. Kai smiled and walked over to join them.

Kai: So who's the seeker?

One of the kids raised their hand.

Kai: Alright. Let's go!

The kid turned around and started counting.

The other children scattered and found hiding spots around the square. Kai just shot me a wink, and turned invisible. I found myself a giggling mess.

Short timeskip later.

Smol child: Did we find everyone?

Smoller child: Where's Mister?

Older child: Mister? You won! Can you come out?

Kai suddenly let down his cloaking spell, surprising all the children.

Kai: Surprise!

The kids devolved into fits of laughter around Kai.

Pyra: He'd be such a great father… If only…

After entertaining the kids a little longer with his powers, he came back over to me, a smile still on his face.

Kai: Man I see why you want kids. That was fun.

Pyra: You'd make a great father someday…

An awkward silence fell over us, and my face heated up, realizing what that could be implying.

Kai: With the right person. Yes. I'd like to think so. I'm glad you do.

Pyra: Maybe… could I get a confession? Why are you glad that I think so specifically?

He hesitated for a moment.

Kai: Well, theoretically, if one were to start a family, traditionally the partner would be of the opposite sex. And to have a close friend that is indeed, of the opposite sex believe that I would do a decent job of being a father, not only pleases my ego but tells me that good parenting is possible for me.

Pyra: Wow. Sounded like he had rehearsed that one and forgot to not sound like a robot. Though most of it seemed genuine… still didn't answer why me specifically though. I know it can't be true. So why do I keep hoping that he loves me? Because I love him? That doesn't make a difference… maybe I should just tell him…

I shook the thought off. It wasn't possible so why think about it. The time that I got to spend with him was a gift, and I would take it. And I would take it platonically.

Pyra: I hate that thought… I don't want our relationship to be platonic. I love him. I just don't know what to do about it…

Kai: But that doesn't really have to be a concern right now, as I have not yet found a partner.