Clay scowled as he slammed the door to his house.

"What happened this time?" a young man with a light voice called from another room. 

"Don't. Ask," Clay growled.

The other man chuckled as he came into the room. He had a red shirt and jeans on, and his soft brown hair contrasted his blue and green eyes. 

"Aw, did you get beaten again?" he grinned. "Keep letting that happen and they'll think you're not so powerful after all."

Clay's gaze darkened, but he said nothing, instead storming off to the third-floor lift. 

"I'll be here when you feel like talking!" the man yelled after him. 

"I don't want to hear it, Will!" Clay shouted back. He stepped on the colored circle and it rose from the ground, carrying him to the third and top floor of his house. 

"He should be glad I let him stay here," he muttered as the lift ascended. He'd grudgingly agreed to allow his 29-year-old brother to live with him, but William seemed completely unworried about his younger sibling's anger.

He reached the top floor and stepped off the circle, watching as it floated back to the ground. Forcing himself to relax, he started through the hallways toward a room on the western side of the house. He had been doing so well. Everyone at that stupid school knew what he wanted. Everyone at that stupid school was scared of him. And everyone at that stupid school had gotten away. Except that one girl. Lynne Clearwater. Even after all of the students had escaped, he'd had the fortune to run across a stray, panicked child. Even more fortunate, she had been the boy's best friend. The situation was perfect. It had only taken a little threatening before she showed him where everyone had gone.

Except she'd tricked him.

Clay clenched his fists, trying to calm down. He didn't need anger right now. It wouldn't help him achieve his goals, so it was useless. He took a breath, staring out over the western balcony. Below him he could see the High City, sparkling in the light of the fading sun. This was the only place he seemed to be calmer. Less focused on the future. More appreciating of what was happening in front of him.

Weak.

He shook his head and tore himself from the breathtaking view. 

Did it really mean anything to enjoy a view? If nobody knew, nobody would think he was weak., Nobody would think he cared. He didn't care.

Well, maybe he did a little, but they couldn't use the sun to hurt him. If it couldn't be used against him, he could probably get a little happiness out of it. With a sigh, he relented and allowed himself to enjoy the sight for a minute. 

One minute. No longer. 

He  took a quiet breath and watched the sun fall.