chapter two - Survival Mission

It's been a while since we last saw Dagur, when he called me "my love" and kissed my forehead; ever since that day, I haven't been able to stop thinking about him, but other than that, there's been some stuff going on. Hiccup has started acting more interested in my life, which is weird; he's even canceled riding with Astrid to hang out, but other than that, there's Alvin the treacherous. Chief of the outcasts, who had been helped by Mildew to capture Hiccup and Toothless, but of course he failed because of me and the other riders. I was currently standing in the dragon academy waiting for Hiccup and Astrid to tell us what our next training mission would be.

"A survival mission?"

"Yes, a survival mission. You'll just be going from this beach to this cave on the other side of the island."

The others nodded in approval before-

"At night, with no camping gear and no dragons."

Almost everyone groaned in frustration,

"Why?"

"To work on survival skills and defense."

----------time skip brought to you by Hiccups Mommy Issues ----------

We just arrived on Dragon Island, and it was time to say goodbye to our dragons. "Be good, Ember, please. There are too many wild dragons on this island, and you could get hurt."

She gave a low growl in response as I gently patted her snout before taking my lantern and leaving.

I had been walking for a while when I saw smoke off in the distance. Where there's smoke, there's fire, and where there's fire, there's people, so, in other words, someone broke the rules of Astrid's survival mission.

It took me a few minutes, but soon I reached the fire, and it was more than just a fire; it was a camp site. There were boxes full of what I'm guessing are supplies, and there was a single tent set up, and there were dragons' bones everywhere. I need to get out of here.

Just as I was leaving, I heard a deranged cackle, then I got pinned to the ground, and when I opened my eyes, I was face to face with none other than Dagur. I cannot believe I'm this close to him. I know last time I said he was attractive, but he looks even better up close. When we made eye contact, his eyes softened; he no longer had the angry, deranged look he normally had. He looked calm. Neither of us spoke for at least a minute. We just stared into each other's eyes until finally he spoke:

"Y/N, my love, what are you doing here, especially with no camping gear or weapons?"

"Oh, um, I left my weapons back at my camp site. I was on my way back there, actually."

At first, he didn't seem convinced, but then I guess he decided to let it go.

"So our last conversation got interrupted by that pesky zippleback, but I believe you were about to tell me about what it was like for you growing up."

"Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about that. There has been a lot going on lately, but if you still want to hear about it, I could tell you."

"Of course I want to hear about it, my love. I want to learn everything about you-the good, the bad, and the embarrassing stories. I want to hear it all."

So after that, I opened up to Dagur, which was one thing I never expected I'd do. I told him everything about me, from what it's been like being the younger sister of Astrid to how Hiccup ditched me.

"Wow, I never thought I'd ever open up to anyone."

It felt nice to talk to someone about this, during which I didn't even realize that Dagur had gotten close enough to slip his arm around me; he then laid his head on mine, and even though this was weird to me, I soon relaxed into it and drifted off to sleep.