It was another thing I'd come to learn about Desmond Grant; He hated apologies as much as almond milk in his coffee order. They were bizarre to him.

        A slight tip of his full lips, almost as if he was pleased with my response. "See, I knew there was a reason I kept you around." Thank you? "Don't be late again, Ms. Carmichael or else I'll have to start reducing your pay. Your last warning. Yes?"

        My fingers itched wanting nothing more than to punch a damn hole in his annoyingly perfect handsome face but I could only swallow my sassy response under my frustration and direct a fake smile towards him. "Absolutely, sir."

        "Good." He nodded firmly, glancing deeply into my eyes for a little longer than usual before he shifted his eyes straight ahead. "You can start with my regular order of coffee and then explain what the hell happened with the client you were given to interview."

        Ah shit. Another fake smile as I gritted my teeth, imagining what would happen if I'd taken off my shoes and dug the heel of my stiletto into his eyes. "Of course, sir."

        After I'd received an ear full from the devil himself and made it up by traveling thirty minutes to his favorite coffee shop for his regular order, he'd instructed me to summarize everything that had happened on Friday night. Starting with my arrival at the bar and the text messages I'd shared with the client. He wanted to know everything.

        I didn't know much about the case Grant was working on but I knew it was related to the Crime families of New York and an exclusive article to reveal the hidden secrets of their dynamic.

        Grant had revealed to me a while ago that his article alone could end the family and put him in danger and everyone working on it with me, and asked if I wanted to pursue this.

It was one of the reasons I'd admired working under him; He was passionate about everything he wanted to write about and made impossible a possibility.

        Even if it meant working as a personal assistant rather than his intern for a while.

        The day dreadfully dragged on until it was time for my lunch break, and usually I would have eaten lunch at my desk because Desmond always required my presence every single minute even if it was lunch time.

He didn't give a fuck and didn't have any fucks to give. The man was a menace.

Today was different; Alice, who was Desmond's secretary and Clara, his receptionist both begged for me to visit the new restaurant which opened a few days ago.

         It was a couple minutes walk from the office which initially drew me into the idea. I'd checked Desmond's schedule earlier today and noticed he only had one meeting after lunch with a client he labeled as 'important!" and I made a promise to myself to be on time.

        "So.." Clara began after we'd received our food. We'd been catching up for the last thirty minutes about our weekends with the latest pop hits playing overhead from the speakers. The all-knowing expression on her face made me squirm a bit in my seat.

I glanced over at Alice who was playing with the strands of her dark brown hair nervously like she'd done something wrong. "What do you think about Jax?"