Chapter 17

Dillon took the courthouse ramp at a slow, careful pace, one hand gripping his new cane fiercely, the other hand entwined in David's. It had been the longest year of his life and recovery had been slow, but he was doing his best to listen to his physiotherapist when she told him to be more patient with his body. Recovery hadn't been the only thing that had made this year such a long and tiresome one. The trial had been invasive, no matter how David tried to shield him from the worst of it, and controlling the panic attacks whenever he had to speak about his time in Port Evans and his abduction had been almost overwhelming. But David had been with him through the entire process, a friend and guide through the harsh realities of the legal system, and Dillon was grateful.And now it was all over. Martin White had been sentenced and wouldn't even have a chance at parole for another forty years. Looking out at the bright, late afternoon sun, watching the city sparrows fly and dart about above him, Dillon felt something like freedom, and a smile bloomed on his lips. He turned and saw David watching him, his face one of concern, yet there was affection in his eyes as well. He'd stayed by Dillon's side while he was in hospital and had made arrangements for him when he was ready to leave and had never pushed Dillon to confront what they might be to one another, now that there was no facade, no danger, and no time frame. To be honest he'd been surprised when David had asked him to choose between two rentals because he'd thought that when it came time to leave, he would simply go home with David. But David had been determined to help Dillon maintain his independence. It had been harsh to be alone again, to wake in the night with no one to cling to, but in the long run it had been worth it. David had bought him two budgerigars, and the largest aviary that he could fit in Dillon's flat, and had never hesitated when Dillon called him at odd hours, desperately in need of human contact.His first question upon waking after his first surgery had apparently been to ask after his little firetail, and it had been a relief to know that Lizzy had taken him in and cared for him until he was ready to be released, and a relief to know that she and Bec were still happily engaged. In one week he would be traveling back out to Port Evans for the first time since had been driven away in an ambulance, and it was only his strong desire to see his friends married that stopped him from canceling their reservations at the hotel. And the fact that it was a reservation for two. It wasn't an ideal location for their first romantic weekend away but Dillon was determined to make it a good one, and suspected that David felt the same.David squeezed his hand. The last year had not been easy for him either but he had stayed, when Dillon hadn't really believed he would, and now it was all finally over, and something new could begin."There's a bunch of reporters round the bend, at he bottom of the stairs, Love," he whispered, his voice a deep reassuring purr. "But you don't have to say much. They're just looking for a sound-bite and a picture. God, but I'm proud of you.""Thanks, Love," Dillon replied, grinning at him. "I'm proud of you too. Really, really proud."They rounded the bend to where the press were waiting, along with their legal team and well-wishers, but before David could take that final step forward and give the statement he'd prepared in advance, Dillon tugged him back. He smiled at David's look of confusion, let go of his hand, tangled his own in the man's dark, thick curls and pulled him in for a kiss. He didn't care that he could hear the snap of cameras taking their picture, he no longer cared that the world might be watching and he no longer wanted to run away and hide from it. He had spent the last year moving on from the traumas wrought upon him, with David by his side and he felt immense pride at how far he'd come. They had built up a strong and honest relationship, and though it had been slower than he liked, it had been worth it, and Dillon finally felt ready to live again.