Prologue: The Green Baby

The evening of August 24th, 2154 the remaining Metkayina soldiers return from War.

"How many did we lose?" the teal green leader gritted his teeth as he clenched his bloodied fists. He had just spared a fellow warrior of prolonged pain.

Stood before him, with a crushed spirit and torn clothing, was his friend since childhood. A fellow warrior he greatly respected and trusted. To his dismay, he found him standing alone with no one following after him.

The moonlight gently touched the two wounded men as the empty silence became filled with the sound of the waves crashing against the rickety edges of the mauri's tree trunks, the elevated homes perched above the reef, but was cruelly interrupted by the sound of wailing mothers and desperate prayers. The screams would occasionally make the wounded warrior flinch, as he was not used to this sort of outcry from the village of his youth.

The wide eyed, now-turned veteran soldier, with blood dripping from his lip shuddered and averted his gaze from his leader. His shoulders began quiver as he tried to stifle his escaping sobs from his matured face.

"Please, Temloa." The much taller man pleaded as he gently gripped his old friend's trembling shoulder "Tell me."

"I'm so sorry, Tonowari...only I and three others survived." With that Temloa's whimpers turned into a river of tears and breathy heaves as the newly appointed Olo'eyktan sighed.

"We were no match for them...those...metal monsters...they were so big and they shot...holes into my entire squadron..my brothers and sisters...my dear mate...Kaia...I had to leave her body there...all I could do was take the remaining boys and leave." he wept as his knees gave out and he collapsed to the weaved ground "I failed you, my Olo'eyktan...I failed all of them!"

Tonowari quickly lowered himself to his now child-like friend who was now hunched over and wailing loudly. The great clan leader pulled him up and gripped his shoulders.

"Do not speak like that, Temloa. You could never have failed me or any one of these people. The sky people are ferocious, they care not about what blood they spill or what home they burn to the ground. You, I and the rest of the Metkayina clan did our part to aid Toruk Maktou and bring justice to the Ometicaya people. Now it is our duty to be strong and rebuild the spirit of the people, we cannot let these invaders snuff out our spirit, I won't allow it. Be strong and continue to put up a fight, my friend"

Temloa, still crying, slowly nodded his head in agreement and nodded his head "Yes, Olo'eyktan." He affirmed trying to stabilize his wobbly voice.

Tonowari nodded and smiled at his friend. He then helped him to stand up back up.

"My condolences for your loss." He then spoke, clutching Temloa's wide forearm "Your mate Kaia lies with our ancestors and will not be forgotten. Her song chord will be preserved."

Temloa wiped his eyes "Yes, thank you. It will be such pain to tell her spirit sister."

"You are a brave warrior, Temloa." Tonowari assured "It will be very difficult from now on, but I believe in your resolve."

Temloa found the words comforting and even felt the urge to slightly grin.

"Now...before I ask you to tend to your injuries and rest, there is something that must be done." Tonowari then stated.

Temloa noticed the hesitation in his friends voice and felt a little confusion.

"Of course but, why so nervous?" Temloa questioned "Did you break your skim-wing saddle again like we were kids? You're O'loeyktan now and you still can't stop breaking it." he lightly joked.