106: Airport Club pt.2

Start from the beginning

"Same as you, I suppose, waiting for the rain to stop." He responded jokingly. She seemed unimpressed with the answer. Shit. "Well, actually I wanted to leave after Jehyun took off but I think I wanted to eat something before going home but I saw you sitting here alone..."She nodded.

"Do you think the rain will stop soon?" He asked, testing the water.

"I don't think so."

"So, how do you go home tonight?"

"Maybe with a bus, but I'm not sure right now. Why?" Nice cue.

"No, just, I wanted to go back right now. Do you need a ride?"

She blinked a few times. "Uh, is it okay? I mean, it's already late."

"It's okay, I usually went to sleep late anyway," Lie. "And I think this rain won't stop until tomorrow." He murmured.

"Yeah. It's kinda scary isn't it?" Lisa tucked her hair behind her ear. Jungkook nodded, mesmerized.

-

The ride was silent. Lisa enjoyed the sound of the rain so much, and Jungkook looked like drowning in his own thoughts. She didn't want to interrupt that, as she herself likes to be in her own head too sometimes.

"What do you think of Jaehyun, Lisa-ssi?" Jungkook asked, out of nowhere. Maybe it's because of the weather or the silence in the car, but his voice asking her was so soft.

"Well, he's nice. Why do you ask?"

He shrugged, "Nothing, just curious."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you've known him for years but you still seem awkward around him, you know." He glanced at her. "Like, you treat him like a good friend but you look stiff and distanced yourself from him."

Lisa looked down at her fingers. "I don't know. Maybe knowing that I can't return his feelings made me feel guilty."

"Do you even try to, I don't know, liking him back, at least?" Jungkook asked hesitantly.

Her anxiety grew bigger with his question. She scratched her fingertips. "I'm not ready for a relationship, Jungkook-ssi," She chuckled weakly. "And I don't want to give him promises I can't keep."

Silence fell over them once more before Jungkook replied softly as he breathes, "I think I understand what it feels like."

-

"Did you know that this glass could break up a light beam into 7 colors?" She asked excitedly. He shook his head. He knew, but he liked the way she explained things. Her face lit up and she started to tell him facts and stories about prism, her accent was so unique he could tell it's her even if her voice changed.

He chuckled. Her small hands delicately held the prism with admiration as she kept talking about it. He sipped his tea and looked at her. Her face looked like a doll, with a very distinct yet familiar feature that he couldn't understand but love so much. He had already planned to tell her about his feelings and it would be sooner than she thinks.

"Hyung!"

-

Jungkook opened his eyes. He could still see her face, with all the light that hits her auburn hair and her sculpted nose. So breathtaking. He usually felt so restless after dreaming, but this one made him feel peaceful and relaxed.

Jungkook slipped his feet into his soft slippers and went to the kitchen. The two people from his dream were the same people from his dream 5 days ago, and Jungkook was more sure that the man was the same person he kept dreaming about from past years. He didn't know if this happened to everyone but somehow he knew, too much, about the man's feelings towards the woman.

"That person loves her a lot. He tried to propose to her after the party next month. They knew each other 2 years prior when he went to visit Southeast Asia, she was a merchant's daughter, the tradesman that worked with his family..." Jungkook wrote on the kitchen counter's note. He chuckled as he wrote tradesman. Who uses the word Tradesman these days?

He stopped writing when he realized something. These days? He realized something. The dress she wore, the suit the man used. Very, vintage. Jungkook didn't really understand fashion, but he could tell that women these days don't casually wear classic hats anymore. Are they people from the past?

Am I dreaming about people from the past?

-

Jungkook could picture the building style from his dream. Although it has changed so much, the luxurious/western-styled building and sparse neighborhood from that time only happened in the Gangnam area. He decided to take a visit to the district after brunch since his schedule for the day was packed after the meeting with Mr Jung.

"It was around this area..." Jungkook muttered. The shivering autumn wind blew between his hair, messing them up. Jungkook couldn't care less, he loved it anyway. Dried leaves all over the street with a slight rotting smell from the dying plants were his favorite part of the season. He remembered reading a Korean romance book he borrowed from Taehyung when he was 17 and he really liked the way the author romanticized the autumn season in it. Since then he secretly dreamt about finding love in autumn, with orange trees everywhere and mild coldness.

But that was just a vision he never wanted to manifest.

Jungkook kept walking and scanning the buildings as he tried to visualize the scene once again. He felt like he chose the alley by instinct because his feet kept walking without hesitation, but it wasn't the problem right now.

Jungkook wanted to find the house. He wanted to make sure if every information from his dreams was real or it was just made up, although either way he thinks he should go to the psychiatrist once more. The 'house' likely was already renovated or changed since it was built decades ago, but he didn't care.

He suddenly stopped in front of a huge fence. He couldn't see the building inside, but somehow he was sure that this was the place. He stared at it and saw a familiar face standing next to him, stared at the same fence with a stern look.

"Lisa-ssi? What are you doing here?"

1671 words

Published 4 January 2023